Chapter 15 Witches of Prayer

"We're looking for my sister." I spoke up. "And my friend."

A voluptuous woman in a black jumpsuit and large, black broad brimmed hat stepped forward, the wind catching at her black braids. "They are indeed with us and have been since the last moon." She replied in an accent that reminded me of human Spanish. "Marcelline has warned me about you, that your troublemakers?" She appeared to seek confirmation.

"It was a misunderstanding." Margot answered. "We won't cause any trouble here." She assured.

"We'll see about that." The head Witch closed the space between us, the Witches in white behind her following. "Is that a Demon?" Her beautiful face contorted in disgust.

"In the flesh." They pushed their chest out boastingly.

"You are not welcome here." She levelled him with a pair of green eyes that were practically yellow. "This is sacred land, the rest of you may enter but you must stay out." There was clearly no room for discussion.

"If you insist." The Demon looked less than happy to oblige.

"You can all call me Christina." She led us down a white bricked path to the bottom of the ravine. "Marcelline informed me of all your names." She added before any of us could introduce ourselves.

The river that divided the village was clear and sparkling under the sun, the banks dark and fertile for the roots of olive trees. The Dalewood Witches harvested wheat in the fertile soil and grapevines, each Witch we passed stopping to give us hostile glares.

"And I had thought the Saltwood Witches were intimidating." I spoke for only Bianca and Ren to hear either side of me.

"Don't see any Siren yet." Drake eyed the river.

I waited for Christina to explain the customs of her people, but she did not, striding ahead in high heeled boots in determination.

The white path led us around several fountains and stone carved statues of women and men astride horses, camels and even each other. 

"Not too bad." Maxime remarked and I noticed Ren nodding in agreement.

"And here we are." Christina stopped at a statue of a giant eye, where Olive and Rae sat weaving baskets out of reeds.

Rae immediately burst into tears upon seeing us, running up to accept a shared hug between Bianca and I. "I don't know what to say." She sobbed.

"You don't have to say anything." Bianca answered.

"Is Trent with you?" Rae wiped at her tears, searching for her husband.

I gaped, dread befalling me. "No, we haven't encountered him."

"Oh." Tears of happiness were replaced by tears of sadness.

I turned to see Olive accepting a hug from Drake and Ren.

"It's actually been okay." She even smiled. The removal of her phone had done her wonders.

"Everyone else is safe." I gave her a hug, her strawberry blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail tied off with wire-as seemed to be the fashion of the Coven.

"I'm glad." Olive stepped out of the hug and I noticed she had henna painted mandalas up her right arm.

"This is nice." I complimented.

She smiled brightly. "They taught me how to do it."

"So, what are you all planning on doing now?" Christina was eager for us to leave.

Margot and I exchanged a look.

"Margot and I are linked through a spell and we were hoping you would help us break it." I answered.