Chapter 13 Just Like Game of Thrones

Fire burned across the surface of the seas and glass fell from the skies in some twisted version of Oz in chaos, living up to its original Devilwood name. It appeared almost as an eighth layer of Hell as hordes of Demons tunnelled up from the earth, spouting out into the air with fast flapping bat-like wings like a waterfall. The sky was a bruised purple, violet lightning forking between blue clouds and about every few seconds striking downward to spark another forest fire. Corpses of long dead Witches formed a layer three metres high off the ground, filling ravines and dried up waterways. Astaroth sat upon a throne constructed of Witch corpses, a gloating smile on his face in his true Demonic form, spiralling horns and all.

I had been observing as an omnipresent force until that moment, where I found myself kneeling before him in a plain, white dress.

'Hoc est propter vos.' He reached out to touch me and the vision slipped away from my subconscious.

I was startled awake from a repeat of a vision I had dreamt the night before. I sat up to find I was the first one to wake, the sun only just peeking out above the horizon.

I paced my way over to a nearby river, the base of it paved in black and white bricks. I retrieved the Bloomwood talisman from inside my dress, stroking the wand to feel the bumps and ridges. I held it in my left hand, stretching out to point at a tree on the other side of the river.

I didn't know any defensive or offensive spells to even try and use with the wand, after living out my twenty-three years as a Witch who never practiced her craft. If only I hadn't spent so much time chasing butterflies in the flower fields and spent more time being taught about Witch history and defensive arts.

I flourished my wrist, attempting to flesh out my magic to no avail. "Come on." I whispered to myself as I flicked my hand over and over.

I gave up, sitting down on a tree stump to gaze down at the river that had stopped flowing. I peered down to watch ice form over the surface across the entire length that I could see in both directions.

Once the river had frozen, ice continued to spread over the bank, grass and rocks. Fascination morphed into fear as ice spread up entire trees with lightning speed.

I stepped backward as the ice neared my feet.

"You didn't sleepwalk or anything?" Ren called from far enough away he couldn't see the ice.

I looked over my shoulder to face him before glancing back to see the ice had vanished. "No, I'm coming." I looked over my shoulder one last time before reuniting with everyone.

"So, if we keep heading North, we'll meet a white brick road that will take us through a huge mess of mountain ranges." Margot traced a finger along the road on the map. "The Dalewood encampment is on the highest mountain." She pointed to a white circle.

"Sounds like Hell." Ren remarked my way.

"Oh, it looks like it too." The Demon affirmed.

"We should stock up on food and water." Maxime suggested. "Considering we'll be entering a desert shortly."

"We'll hunt on the way." I agreed with him.

Our group of seven began walking at a steady pace, following the river for a little while before branching off down a steep slope to where dirt gave way to sandstone. We managed to catch a few fish, rabbits and forage some nuts and seeds along the way.

"So, were the Sirens hot?" Drake struck up conversation in a way only he knew how.

"Yes." The Demon answered.