two.

Y/N POV

I slump against the dorm room door exhaling loudly once inside.

"Rough class?"

I jump slightly as my eyes focus on my roommate perched at the kitchen sink enjoying a bowl of Lucky Charms.

"Jesus Sof, you scared the shit out of me." She rolls her eyes placing her cereal bowl in the sink before rounding the corner.

"Kinda like how I felt this morning walking out to a complete stranger watching sports in our living room." She chastises and I slump against the door once more pinching at the small space between my eyebrows.

"Fuck, Sofia I'm sorry. I was running late this morning and figured you were gone already. Did he say anything?"

"Just left his number for you on the counter." She motions to the small piece of paper between them.

Call me. xx
-Brandon

Well at least I got the "B" right.

"How was the workshop?" Sofia asks making herself comfortable on the loveseat in the living room.

I sigh inwardly once more remembering the mailing envelope tucked into my purse. Pulling it from my bag, I swat at Sofia's knees forcing her to make room on the couch as I join her. She tucks her legs up underneath her waiting for my answer.

"It was...intense. He's such a presence you know? And even better looking in person, my god!" Sofia squeaks a little her excitement palpable as you continue,

"He gave us all an assignment for tomorrow. One scene in front of the class...with him." I twirl the small envelope between my fingers still nervous to actually open it and read which scene.

"What piece is it from?" Sofia asks, surprise and what looks like envy fresh on her face.

"I Saw the Light. I'm reading Elizabeth Olsen's character." I wrack your brain as different scenes from that movie play through my  head.

"I wanna open it." Sofia stretches out her hand impatiently and I roll my eyes placing the envelope in her palm. I close my eyes holding my breath as she pulls the small script from the envelope. It feels like eternity passes and I open my eyes waiting for her the speak.

"It just says 'Pregnancy Announcement.'"

———————————————————————-
Tom POV

My phone buzzes violently in my pocket just as I turn the knob of my West Village flat.

"Hello?" I answer shutting the door behind me as I drop my keys on the entryway table.

"Hey stranger! We still on for dinner tonight?" Lizzie Olsen's bubbly voice hums through my receiver. I can't help the smile that pulls at each corner of my mouth. I reached out to Lizzie when I first volunteered for the guest professor gig knowing she was an Alumnus from the Atlantic Theater Company. They'd been trying for years to get her to come back, but after a convincing argument from myself and the promise that she would not be the sole instructor she agreed to help me with a few lectures.

"Lizzie darling, it's great to hear your voice. Absolutely! I can't wait to fill you in on how class went today!" I answer recalling just how exciting it was to be in a teaching setting again. Lizzie giggles softly on the other end, no doubt able to hear the excitement in my voice.

"I have a reservation for us at Il Buco. Eight o'clock. I'll see you then Tom."

It's a short walk from my flat in the West Village to the Italian Restaurant where I'm meeting Lizzie. The sun is low and a light breeze cools the hot September air. I tuck a file folder under my arm before crossing the final intersection before my destination.

My phone buzzes quickly as I approach the restaurant entrance.

             Lizzie: Just sat down. Back left. :)

I return my phone to my back pocket, following Lizzie's instructions. I see her in an instant and I'm immediately taken by her presence. I'm always taken by her presence. It never ceases to amaze me how we can go months without seeing each other and immediately feel like we never parted. She fiddles with the stem of her wine glass as she glances at the menu. Her chestnut hair sits in a messy bun atop her head. Long bangs framing her gentle features.

I clear my throat softly as I approach the table and her eyes snap to mine.

"Hello darling." She's on her feet in an instant, stretching onto her tip toes to wrap her arms around my neck. I can't help but chuckle as I kiss both cheeks, steadying her back to her feet.

"Tom its so good to see you! How've you been. Sit. Sit." She ushers me toward our corner table and I pull her chair out joining her as she sits.

"I'm fantastic Lizzie, it's so good to see you as well. You're flight was good?"

"It was, yea. Ashley picked me up from JFK it's been great catching up with both of my sisters."

"Tell them I say hello for me will you?" I remember meeting her sisters only briefly over the years I've known Lizzie. They've always been kind to me.

"I will. For sure." A silence falls between us then as I struggle to ask my next question. She takes a long sip of her red wine almost sensing my hesitation.

"How's Robbie?" It brief, and gone as soon as it appears, but hurt flashes behind her eyes as I ask about her fiancé. She looks away contemplating her answer and collects her thoughts before she answers,

"We're taking a break. Covid really exposed a lot of holes in our relationship, unfortunately." She looks away lost, and my heart breaks for her. I reach across the table taking her hand in mine gently sweeping my thumb across her knuckles. Her eyes glisten with threatening tears but she blinks them away, collecting herself.

"So tell me about this class!" She switches almost instantly back to her bubbly self. I pause for a moment questioning whether or not to press the issue further. Another time perhaps. Hoping to lighten the mood, I pull out my folder tossing it on the dinner table before us. She's chuckles rolling her eyes and she's back to the Lizzie I know.

"Of course you brought reading material." She reaches across the table flipping through the folder and again I find myself smiling at her.

"So in today's class I let them all randomly pick roles to act out with me in front of the rest of the class."

"Nothing like throwing them to the wolves I guess. Jesus Tom." She shakes her head exasperated but a smile pulls at her lips as she reads through the list of roles and scenes.

"Any roles I'd recognize?" She asks flipping through the folder once more. I affix my glasses to the bridge of my nose pointing toward the bottom third of the page she's currently on. Realization hits her as she reads just below my finger. She locks her eyes to mine, surprise evident in her features.

"You didn't?!" She exclaims bringing the page to cover her face as she giggles.

"That one I'm particularly excited about." I answer as y/n's timid introduction flashes behind my eyes.

"I still remember that day on set ya know." She locks eyes with me, an expression I just can't gauge fresh on her features. Longing maybe? I try to lighten the mood once again.

"I remember your boney elbows digging into my bladder the entire time we shot that scene." I laugh as she takes the folder I've placed in front of her and smacks my arm with it playfully.

"So these scenes are due tomorrow then?" She asks in all seriousness and I nod tracing my bottom lip with my index finger.

"I'd like to see some of these." Lizzie proclaims flipping through the folder again.

"Yea?" I ask, surprised she's actually volunteering to something.

"Don't look at me like that Tom. I'm sitting in the back of the theater, unannounced and hidden from view. I just wanna watch." A small v takes shape between her eyebrows and I know she's made up her mind.

"Fine with me. I'll see you tomorrow then."