E6 | Dignity to keep

VI

VI.

Lalisa's slender fingers massaged her temples. The male was seated right across her with a silly grin on his face but it portrayed various emotions. Sorrow, happiness,anger. Maybe this is what they call "Karma".

"Are you sleepy?" she poured a glass of water and handed it over to the male sitting across her. He nodded his head, truthfully. "Then you can sleep on the bed. I'll go accompany Jimin." The warm light illuminated making her flaxen hair glow, as they hugged her accentuated curves. Fore letting Jeongguk in her bedroom, she had briefly changed into a black turtle-neck top. "Don't" he warned, surmising she's listen to him.

Well, his presumption had hit the bull's eye! Lalisa momentarily halted in her tracks and twisted her body to face him. Nevertheless, he continued without acknowledging the slight frown painted on her face. "Could you not go? I-" he paused, "I'm not habituated to stay alone." She knew why.

During their marital status, she had come across a few things about Jeongguk. Firstly, he was very obstinate, head-strong and achieved whatever he wanted. Secondly, the  strong figure was just an exterior build. Internally, Jeon Jeongguk was the most poignant male she ever crossed paths with. Lalisa also knew he used to have nightmares and sleep paralysis as well. 

It was the third night of their matrimony. Jeongguk had asked Lalisa to stay in another room while he occupied the master bedroom. They had just moved into that newly bought rococo-styled mansion a few days prior to their marriage. 

That very night, she was extremely thirsty and the bottle kept on her nightstand was empty. So, she had to go downstairs to fetch a glass of water. The mansion held an eerie silence. Her footsteps echoed through the empty hallways. Whilst returning to her bedroom, she heard a muffled wailing at the end of he corridor. Albeit frightening, she still mustered the courage to find out, who or what exactly was sobbing.

Opening the door to his room, she was shocked to see the figure of her husband laid on the bed. Yet, he was crying but why? She slowly advanced towards him while eloquently chanting hymns lest getting rid of demons around him. That is how superstitious she was.

At the age of seven, Lalisa lost her father. He was the skipper of Thailand's Navy Forces. People around her explained he was swallowed by some sort of water demon. When she grew older, she grasped the reason of her father's untimely death but as they say, old habits die hard. That is how she grew to be superstitious.

In the end, Lalisa stayed beside him and nurtured him to health. Later, she found out he had difficulties to sleep alone. Henceforth, she accompanied him to bed.

"Nightmares?" she questioned. Again, he nodded in response and so, she didn't leave him. Come to think of it, Lalisa had a dignity to keep but alas! She had let a married man to stay in her bed.

Her bedroom was confined yet appeared to be spacious. Jeongguk managed to fall asleep quickly. Seeing how he fell asleep, she leaned on the headboard of her bed and dozed off shortly afterwards.

Faint knocks on the door, snapped Lalisa out of her cursory slumber. Noticing how Jeongguk's arms were firmly wrapped around her petite waist, she gasped in shock. Didn't she distance herself 3 meters away from this man? What an opportunist! The tip of her toes collided against the cold tiled floor. She hurried an opened the door, popping her face out only.

"Yes oppa?" She almost stuttered. Jimin looked fresh out of the market, a hot shot. "Lisa, I'm leaving Chaeyoung in your hands now." He ran his fingers through his blonde hair, smoothing the knots, "Don't tell her I was present last night. You both don't have to work tonight. Starlight is closed--" Lisa cut his sentence halfway through, bombarding him with a series of questions, "Why oppa? Are we fired? Is Starlight on the verge of closure? Will we be jobless again?"

Jimin gave her a meaningful look, "You ought not to worry, I have a few things to do in the outskirts of Seoul, that is why you both don't have to come. Also, I prepared ginger tea for her. Will help her get over her hangover" With that he left. He was really the perfect man any woman needed.

Upon hearing the main door fastening, Lalisa slammed her bedroom door. Jolting Jeongguk up from his sleep.  He gasped, "Do you have no sense, whatsoever?" he grunted. Staying over at her bedroom, occupying her entire bed, touching her without her permission. How more conceited could one possibly be? "I need you to leave now. Jimin is gone, my roommate is fast asleep. Seize the opportunity and escape from here."

Mumbling a few profanities, Jeongguk pulled the comforter covering his face. Does this man not realise their present situation? He was worse than a hungover drunkard. "Sir Jeon, leave please. Otherwise I will not be afraid of calling your wife and sabotaging your plan. Have I made that clear?" Lalisa threatened.

With that, he sat upright. "Crystal clear." 

After Jeongguk left, Lalisa sat in their small kitchenette, thinking. Thinking where she went wrong. Maybe her mistakes from her past lives reflected in this one. A presence in the back snapped her out of the reverie. "Hey." Chaeyoung's raspy voice greeted. Lalisa beamed at her best friend, "Good morning. Have a seat, I'll bring you the leftover ginger tea I made earlier." She fabricated smoothly.

Taking a sip, Chaeyoung immediately questioned, "Who made this?" Lalisa's smile didn't falter, "I tried a new recipe" Understood, Chaeyoung nodded her head. "Gosh, why did I drink so much?" She cried. "I have to go to work tonight. The bills are left to pay. I-I can't handle them."

Lalisa interjected, "You don't have to pay the bills. I've already paid them. Your muse asked us not to go to the club tonight, he won't me around." Lalisa's best friend screeched "Lisa, did you find yourself a sugar daddy? How have you managed to pay the bills." Lalisa smiled. Oh Chae, not a sugar daddy, I sound myself the bitter taste of past, sour Jeon.

"Nope, I just found my money corvette back." Lalisa joked, putting away the dirty dishes from last night. "And, don't stress yourself too much, let's go out for dinner tonight?" 

A/N <3
Thank you for sticking throughout. I don't know how much of justice I'm giving to all the characters over here.

Words: 1119