Os #1 Fulfilling A Promise Made Years Ago

"Maa aapne vada kiya tha aap aaj mujhe kahani sunaogi.", a 10 year old girl shouted as she ran around her room. "Haan beta yaad hai mujhe. Chalo ab achhe bachhe ki tarah apni Maa ke godi mein aa jao.", her mother said widening her arms. The girl giggled and hugged her mother tightly.
"Aaj konsi kahani sunaogi Maa?" "Aaj kahani nahi ek ghatne ke baareme bataungi tumhe.", as she completed, her smile faded. "Kaisi ghatna?", asked the little girl as she looked up with her round orbs. "Ek aisi ghatna jisne humari zindagi badal di. Jisse hum chahkar bhi nahi bhul sakta.", a single drop of tear rolled down her cheeks. "Paanch saal pehele humari ghar ki raunak apni padhayi puri karke apne desh,apne ghar wapas lautne waali thi. Yeh khabar sunke hum sab bohot khush hue the par hume nahi pata tha yeh khushi kuch hi pal mein dukh mein badalne waali thi.", the woman said looking at the photo frame that hung in front of her.

Flashback :-
"Aakhir kaar main apne desh wapas laut hi aayi. Ab bas aapse milna chahti hu.", a girl in her early 20s murmured as she stood at the port with her eyes closed and a smile . Nothing had changed in her. That same bright smile, that innocence. A motor car was already waiting for her. "Safar karne ke wakt koi takleef toh nahi hui na Beta", Ramu Kaka, the driver asked as she got into the car. "Bilkul nahi Kaka. Safar achha raha.", she replied with her usual smile. "Waise Kaka ghar par sab kaise hai?", hearing this Ramu Kaka remained silent as he downed his head. "Boliye na Kaka" "Sach bataye toh ghar par kuch bhi thik nahi hai. Pata nahi Malkin ka Roy Choudhurion se kya dushmani hai. Zameendaro ke bete ne unse maafi tak maangi par unhone maaf nahi kiya. Aaj bhi jab woh zameendaro ka beta ghar aaya tha tab Malkin ne unhe Jaan se maarne ki dhamki di par woh waha se hile tak nahi. Woh kisise milne ki baat kar rahe the par main thik se sun nahi paaya.", Ramu Kaka told her about all the happenings but the girl seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. The words - "Jaan se maarna" and "dushmani" repeated themselves in her mind. "Jaldi ghar chaliye Kaka. Unki Jaan khatre mein hai.", she screamed all of a sudden. All through the way, she kept on murmuring one thing- "Main aapko kuch nahi hone dungi"

Thakumaa came out holding a gun in her hand, behind her stood the entire Das family. "Ek aakhri baar puch rahi hu, kisse chunoge - apna pyaar yaa apni jaan?"
"Apne pyaar ke liye toh main apni jaan bhi de sakta hu...", a young man in his late 20s replied. His eyes had turned red by now, his shirt covered with stains of blood. But that smile did not leave his face which irked her. "Main tumhe tumhare pyaar se milne nahi dungi. Yeh vaada hai Thakumaa ka."
"Dekhiye main bas yaha usse milne aaya hu, apni....."

"Sakha Babu", a sweet voice stopped him.

"Bondita", he murmured as his smile widened.

Her eyes grew wider seeing his condition. His torn, blood stained shirt, his shabby hair, those wounds on his body - all this gave her immense pain but that smile of his gave her some amount of peace. "Sakha Babu", she was about to run to him when she felt a grip on her arms. Thakumaa held her hand tightly from behind. "Thakumaa mujhe jaane dijiye please. Sakha Babu ko meri zaroorat hai.", Bondita pleaded.

____________

"Phir Ta-Ku-Ma ne Bondita Didi ko jaane diya Anirudh Babu ke paas?", the little girl asked as her mother smiled and caressed her hair as she rested her head on her mother's lap. "Kash aisa hota", her mother sighed and shifted her gaze to the photo frame again.

Flashback :-
"Thik hai jaa", as soon as she left her hand, Bondita rushed to him and kneeled down beside him as she slowly placed his head on her lap, caressing his shabby hair. "Sakha Babu", she called him in a mild tone. He slowly raised his hand to wipe off her tears. Only he knew how much he had yearned to get a glimpse of her in these years and now that she was in front of him, close to him, the only thing he wanted was to be close to her. She wrapped her arms around him tightly not wanting him to leave. They felt peace in each other's embrace. But then suddenly Bondita felt his body jerk a little and he fell completely on her. Bondita brought back her arm that she had wrapped around him tightly. Tears fell from her eyes as drops of blood trickled down her palm. She broke the hug and stared at him blankly. His face had turned red and his eyes on the verge to close Forever ! "I love you Bondita" -- were his last words as he fell on the ground lifeless. He left her and she could do nothing. At a distance stood Chandrachud with a gun in his hand and an evil smile. He looked at Thakumaa who nodded with a smile. Bondita glanced at him and walked into the house. Sumati, seeing her daughter and son's condition, covered her mouth with her palm and cried bitterly.

Bondita came out with a small box in her hand. Sumati immediately understood what her daughter was up to. She went and sat down beside him and as soon as she slowly opened the small box, she smiled a bit. She recalled the promise she had made years ago-- "Vaada karti hu humesha saath rahungi aapke Pati Babu"

She murmured softly, " Aaj ek aakhri ichha puri kar dijiye meri Sakha Babu. Phir hum dono ek ho jayega, hum apni ek nayi duniyaa basayenge jaha hume alag karne ke liye koi nahi hoga." She took his fingers and dipping it into the small box, raised his hand a bit. As his fingers touched her hairline, a drop of tear rolled down her cheeks and fell on his. "Apne Pati Babu Ki Bondita, apne Pati Babu ki Rakshak Babu", she could hear him whisper these words into her ears. Thakumaa came and clutched her hand tightly. "Paagal ho gayi hai kya Bondita, yeh kya bachpana hai?", she screamed. She had expected her to back off but instead Bondita smiled and replied, "Apne Pati Babu se vaada kiya tha humesha saath rehne ka. Bas wahi vaada nibha rahi hu." Thakumaa went near Sumati and said," Sumati rok le apni beti ko. Iska anjaam bohot bura hoga..." "Nahi Thakumaa. Aaj main apni beti ko nahi rokungi. Yeh uski marzi hai. Aaj jo bhi hoga uski zimmedar aap hongi Thakumaa.", she said and walked in.

As the daylight faded, the Roy Choudhury and the Das Family reached the crematorium. Their eyes were fixed to the person lying on the funeral pyre. But the jingling of the anklets drew everyone's attention as they turned back to see Bondita draped in a red banarasi saree with heavy jewellery, just like a bride. Among the red bangles , she had worn the watch that Anirudh had sent her when she was in London. She held the pen that Anirudh had gifted her when she was brought to her Thakumaa's house for the first time.
She took her steps towards the burning pyre. With a smile, she murmured, "I love you Pati Babu" as she closed her eyes Forever ! Sumati, who had seen her daughter dying in front of her eyes, uttered, "Ek insaan ki zidd ki wajah se aaj ek Maa ne apni beti ko chitta pe jalte hue dekha."

______________

"Uss din humare Anirudh aur Bondita ka milan hua. Woh ek ho gaye humesha humesha ke liye.", the woman completed. Tears continuously rolled down her cheeks but she never bothered to wipe them off. She was simply staring at the photo frame. "Toh kya Bondita Didi...." "Bondita Didi nahi Bondita Maasi, Shashwati"

She walked closer to the photo frame and with a sad smile uttered, "Ek baat humesha yaad rakhna Shashwati, apne jeevan mein kabhi kisike baareme bura sochna bhi galat hai. Uss din mujhe iss baat ka ehesaas hua par tab tak bohot der ho chuki thi. Jiski wajah se aaj pachta rahi hu.", she uttered as she gently touched the photo frame.

************************************So here's the first os

So here's the first os. I know this part must have been a bit boring. Really sorry for that.

Please don't hate me for this....

Do Vote and Comment if you liked this part....

With love
Pratiksha

shonuli12