vi. the pollywog

Max tossed and turned that night, the proximity of her crush, Cassidy, keeping her wide awake

Max tossed and turned that night, the proximity of her crush, Cassidy, keeping her wide awake. As she shifted in bed, Max unintentionally elbowed Cassidy in the cheek, eliciting an immediate yelp from her. Startled, Cassidy woke up, and Max, sitting up, expressed her regret, saying, "Oh my god. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," Cassidy chuckled, the corners of her lips lifting in a good-natured response. As the first rays of morning sunlight filtered into the room, she added, "I'm guessing it's time for school." Max joined in the laughter, nodding in agreement, "Yep," as they both acknowledged the inevitable start of the day.

Cassidy disappeared into the bathroom, seeking a change of attire. Max, considerate as always, provided her with a set of clothes and a snug hoodie. The rustle of fabric filled the quiet space as Cassidy swapped her outfit, finding solace in the comfort of the hoodie. A smile graced her reflection in the mirror, capturing a moment of morning contentment. Finally ready, Cassidy emerged from the bathroom, the newfound coziness evident in her demeanor.

Perched on her bed, Max had her skateboard in her lap, its presence a familiar comfort. Turning her attention to Cassidy, she walked over and observed a bruise beginning to emerge. "Oh my god. There's a bruise forming," Max silently cursed, concern evident in her expression. Cassidy, catching Max's worry, calmly reassured her, "It's fine. It happens."

Max, her fingers gently brushing the forming bruise on Cassidy's cheek, found herself locked in a moment of connection as their eyes met, teetering on the brink of a potential kiss. The intimate atmosphere, however, was abruptly shattered as Max's bedroom door creaked open slowly.

Startled, Max withdrew her hand, and there stood Mr. Hargrove. "Oh hi," he greeted before turning his attention to Cassidy. "Cassidy. Cassidy Sinclair," she introduced herself, extending her hand as they exchanged a polite handshake. "Nice to meet you, Cassidy," Mr. Hargrove smiled warmly.

As the introductions unfolded, the room's dynamics shifted. Mr. Hargrove, with a friendly demeanor, addressed Max, "Your mom and I will be out of town for the next day or two. So, be on your best behavior for Billy, okay?" Max nodded, acknowledging the responsibility that came with her parents' absence, while the unexpected intrusion altered the trajectory of the moment she shared with Cassidy.

As the door closed, temporarily restoring a sense of privacy, Cassidy turned her attention to the borrowed item in her hands. "Um, when do you want me to give this back to you?" she asked, referring to the hoodie.

Max, with a hint of a smile, replied, "Keep it. It looks better on you than it did on me." Her words carried a warmth that transcended the simple act of lending an item. With those words lingering in the air, Max walked over to her bed, where the skateboard was placed. She picked it up, completing the gesture and emphasizing her genuine generosity. The exchange between them held an unspoken understanding, deepening the connection forged in the shared moments of the morning.