xix. the battle of starcourt

They rejoined Theodore, Mildred, and Dustin, with Erica and Robin accompanying them

They rejoined Theodore, Mildred, and Dustin, with Erica and Robin accompanying them. Mildred shared her experience with Russian involvement. Will observed Theodore's lingering gaze but noticed he would avert his eyes when caught. Meanwhile, Cassidy appeared unconscious in Max's arms. The group revealed Cassidy's flayed state, with Troy trapped inside her body. They explained Cassidy's subconscious plea to Theodore and Mildred to burn Troy out of her and communicate with her.

That's where this chapter starts...

In the Upside Down, Cassidy felt a compelling urge to break through. She turned to Billy on the couch, saying, "Billy, my plan—it's working." Billy shifted his attention from the couch to where she sat at the table. "I promise, we'll get you back as soon as this is over," she assured him, and a sad smile crossed Billy's face. Cassidy closed her eyes, experiencing what unfolded through her body.

Troy found himself securely tethered to a pole, encumbered by power-damping cuffs supplied by Mildred and Theodore. As Max approached with a nervous gulp, she knelt before him, her determination palpable. A resounding slap echoed through the tense atmosphere. Reacting swiftly, Theodore and Mildred positioned themselves behind her, ready for any unforeseen developments.

Troy, attempting to free himself, struggled against the unforgiving ties. Mildred, her voice edged with defiance, spoke, "I don't think you're going to wriggle out of those ties, buddy. My superstrength ensures they're unyielding." The air crackled with anticipation as the confrontation unfolded.

Max shot a stern glare at Mildred, signaling her to remain silent. Turning back to Troy, she spoke with a mix of determination and concern, "Troy, I need you to release her. Bring Cassidy back to me, or we'll be forced to take drastic measures." Troy snickered defiantly, dismissing the warning with a scoff. "Y'all are dumb for this!" he sneered. Max cast her eyes to the floor, prompting a sinister grin from Troy.

Theodore took a step forward, poised to speak, but a sudden sound interrupted the moment—a mysterious thud echoed, momentarily freezing the unfolding confrontation.

Their attention abruptly shifted as Eleven crumpled to the floor, emitting pained groans. Mike, alarmed, rushed to her side, calling out desperately, "El!" The group swiftly converged around her, anxiety etched on their faces. In the midst of this concern, Troy couldn't resist a snicker, drawing the ire of Mildred, who shot a sharp question his way, "What the hell did you do now?" Theodore intervened, extending his arm to hold her back, a silent warning against impulsive actions.

As Eleven continued to groan in discomfort, the group's collective focus was drawn to something unsettling – movement within the wound on her leg. A sense of dread filled the air as they observed the disturbing activity, prompting Erica to voice the group's shared concern, "What is that? There's something in there," she exclaimed, her face contorted with a mix of horror and disgust. The mystery unfolding within Eleven's injury added a new layer of tension to an already fraught situation.