xiv. the missing lifeguard

Cassidy and Max moved gracefully around Eleven's room, their hands intertwined in a rhythmic dance

Cassidy and Max moved gracefully around Eleven's room, their hands intertwined in a rhythmic dance. As Eleven perused the magazines, Max, caught up in the music, began singing along. The lively atmosphere prompted Cassidy and Max to playfully leap onto Eleven's bed, where they settled on either side of her. "Oh, you stumbled upon Ralph Macchio," Max exclaimed with a wide grin. Perplexed, Eleven softly queried, "Macchio?"

"Yeah, he's the Karate Kid! Hi-yah!" Max theatrically mimicked a karate chop, sparking shared laughter between Cassidy and Eleven in the cozy room.

Cassidy's attention was ensnared when she glimpsed her own reflection in the periphery, triggering a surge in her breath, which began to crescendo into audible intensity. "Cass? Cassidy!" Max's alarmed shout pierced through Cassidy's momentary daze, prompting her to pivot and confront the worried gaze of her girlfriend. "Are you okay?" Max questioned, her hand reaching out to firmly grasp Cassidy's. "Uh... Yeah. I'll just be right back... I need to go to the bathroom," Cassidy responded, her attempt at nonchalance only thinly veiling the disquiet beneath the surface.

She extricated her hand from Max's grip and navigated the room with a measured pace, concealing the disconcertment that had seized her upon encountering her own likeness.

Cassidy, feeling a sense of urgency, stood up abruptly and exited the room, leaving Max with a mix of worry and curiosity. As the door closed behind her, Cassidy hurriedly locked herself in the bathroom. Inside, she leaned over the sink, her hands gripping the edges, and splashed her face with cold water in an attempt to shake off the unsettling feeling.

In the midst of the bathroom's faint hum, Cassidy was startled by a voice that seemed to materialize from the shadows, whispering her name: "Cassie..." The echo lingered, and Cassidy turned, her eyes widening at the sight of her own clone. Instinctively, she took a step back, a mix of fear and confusion etched across her face. "What do you want?" Cassidy whispered-yelled, aware of the need for discretion in case her words reached the ears of others in the adjacent room.

"You don't need to whisper; time is slowed down right now. I just want to talk," her clone responded, the calmness in her voice contrasting with the surreal situation. Cassidy, still processing the strangeness of the encounter, hesitated before cautiously allowing the conversation to unfold.

Cassidy's anxiety tightened as she swallowed nervously. "What do you want?" she repeated, her tone a blend of unease and urgency. The clone's smirk persisted, adding an eerie undertone to the atmosphere. "We got another flayed person," her clone revealed with a chilling nonchalance.

A shiver ran down Cassidy's spine as she pressed, "Who?" The answer came, laden with gravity, "Heather Holloway." The name hung in the air, casting a shadow over Cassidy's already troubled thoughts.