Twenty Five: Treaty

Jake's car was dead silent on the ride back to La Push. School is cancelled for the day but I asked Dad if I could go back to Emily's house and spend time with the boys, which he agreed to. I sat in the front with Sam as we drive to Emily's.

"We're going to have to update the treaty." Sam tells the two in the back as he used one hand to steer the rabbit. "In order to protect our people in Forks, we need access in our wolf forms. The Eastman's, the Black's, the Payne's, the LaRue's, the Swan's, they all live in Forks."

"What if the Cullens don't cooperate?" Ateara asks.

"Then Cailyn has to move to La Push." Sam says and shrugs his shoulders. "And I'll figure something out for the rest of our relatives. We might have to start doubling patrol. Which means Seth won't have as much time at school until we've caught her and whoever this new friend of hers is."

"So, I won't have to move to Emily's?" I ask and Sam nods his head.

"Paul told me about how you want to stay with your dad and Bella." Sam says. "That's if they cooperate."

"Hopefully they do." I say as we pull into Emily's driveway. Surprisingly Paul and Jake are already here, sitting on the porch. I eagerly get out to check on Em. "Where is he?" I ask as I rush onto the patio.

"He's still out there." Paul sighs and gets up. "So is Leah, so we're letting them patrol right now so we can eat. Emily says breakfast is ready." Seth and Ateara quickly race each other inside, playfully fighting up the patio. Just before they get to the door Ateara quickly shoves Seth with one hand and he knocks into the wooden bench on the patio while Ateara laughs and rushes inside.

"Ouch! You little-" Seth says before following Ateara inside. I laugh as I follow Sam and Paul into the house. Just as I get to the door Jake stops me.

"Hey, Cail?" Jake asks and I turn around.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Can we talk?" He asks and nods to the beach.

"Of course." I answer and nod my head. He leads me down to the beach and we sit down in the sand. We watch the waves roll in as I wait for him to say something.

"Sorry I've been such a dick lately." He apologizes. "It's just- seeing what Emily and Sam have. And now what you and Paul have. I don't know. I wish I could look at someone else, anyone else. The way I look at her." He looks away from me and stares at the waves washing into the shore. I could hear the hurt in his voice. "I was finally getting somewhere with her and then her bloodsucker comes back into town. Now I can't see her, or talk to her. And I doubt he'll let her come see me. She just left me, that easily. How can someone do that?"

"I don't know, Jake." I say. I lean on his massive arm as we continue to watch the ocean. "I know that my dad is pissed though. So am I. I don't like him. I don't understand why she does the things that she does. But she's stupid for leaving you. And she doesn't need to be around if she's going to treat you like an option. You'll get over her. She's gonna realize that you're the better option, someday."

"I hope so." Jake sighs and looks down at me. "Ya know, you kind of look like her."

"I do not!" I shout and hit him on his massive shoulder so hard that my hand stung, I'm pretty sure it did more damage to me than him.