Eleven: No Embry

Bella and Jake went to shop for parts in Hoquim while Dad was downstairs, preparing for the game. I packed my weights, my jump ropes, and my elastic band inside of my huge gym bag and headed downstairs. I've been bugging Em to help me train for districts. It's a week away and I'm super nervous about it.

"I'm gonna go work out with Embry." I say as I see Dad on the phone. He nods his head and waves me out. I wave by to him and pass Harry Clearwater's car on the way out. I've never been formally introduced to Harry but I've seen him around, he always stares at me in a strange way that I can't quite understand. I let Charlie and him have their bro time and I stay out of the way. I'm usually at practice or working out when he comes over.

I pick up Em at his house and we head to the gym. He has the gym key unlocks the doors after reassuring me that he reserved it for today. Jessica and Lauren reserved the gym at Forks for the day, and I do not want to practice with them.

First we both shoot 100 three pointers and he beats me to the goal. Then we both jump rope for 5 minutes and he keeps a steady pace, faster than mine. We shoot 100 fifteen-footers and he beats me there too.

"What are you on?" I joke while we jump rope for 5 minutes. His rope is spinning so fast I can hardly tell where it's at and his feet and barely lifting up from the ground. "Cuz I need some of that."

"Adrenaline." He laughs as we stop and I'm panting trying to keep up with him. We do push-ups together, sliding a 25 lb weight each time we go down. He's practically chunking the weight while I'm over here dragging it and breathing hard. By the time I've done twenty he's already finished the fifty. He's making me feel like I'm out of shape. I roll over on my back to catch my breath after I'm done and he laughs. The cold floor feels amazing on my hot sweaty body.

"You're really struggling over there." He says.

"No. You just got buff." I argue. "Last time you were the one struggling."

"I know." He said. "I started growin again too."

"Did you ever stop." I laugh staring at the ceiling. He lays down on the cool floor next to me, his hot shoulder touching mine.

"I guess not." He shrugs then looks at me. "What's next?"

"8 footers." I sigh. "Then more jump roping. Then layups, then push ups again. Then where done."

It takes us about forty five minutes to complete the rest of the workout. We play a game of one on one before I take off my shoes and slip on some sandals. Then he packs up the weights and ropes into my gym bag and we climb into my car after Em locks the gym doors.

"Can I hang at your house for a bit?" He asks. I nod my head. Charlie is probably still hanging out with Harry and Bella should be in Hoquim for awhile.

"Sure I don't have anything planned." I say. "Dad is probably still there." On the ride he just stares out the window in silence while the radio drones on. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He says, shaking his head and snapping out of it. "It's just these guys I guess."

"What about them?" I ask looking over to him he glances at me and then looks down.

"I don't know." He shrugs. "I guess they're just paying close attention to me. It's starting to freak me out a little."

"I heard something about a gang." I say. "Is that it." He just nods his head. "Well I've had my own experiences back in Cali. Just stay away is all you gotta do." He nods his head once more.

I park in my usual spot on the curb and we head inside to find an empty house. I turn on the lights and make Em and I some food. Em never stops eating and snacks I some chips while he sits in front of me while I massage his neck and shoulders as we watch tv.