Five: Damn Good

Today is my first softball game with Forks. I've only been practicing a week with my team. We play against a nearby town named beaver. They're 12-3 right now.

I just finished getting dressed into my uniform. I grabbed my softball bag and keys and headed to my car. Charlie was outside loading chairs into the cruiser.

"Billy and Jacob are coming to watch you play." He smiles.

"Is Bella coming?" I asks glancing to her window.

"I don't think so." He frowns. I get into my car and drive to the field. Bella has only been getting worse. She's been sitting at the cullens table during lunch all by herself. She barely utters any words at all now.

The only people I hang out with are Cameron and Jamie. Cameron was gone yesterday so I tried to sit by Bella. She just sat there numb and didn't even look at me. She looks and acts as if she's going through withdrawal. I was so deep into my thoughts I almost missed the turn to the field.

When I got there the girls were already stretching. I hurried and put my cleats on and rushed onto the field. I finished out the stretching with the team before I practiced pitching with Jamie.

"Ya know." Jamie starts as she passed the ball back to me. "I play travel softball." I nod my head and sling the ball towards her again. "And even for travel softball, you're a good pitcher."

"Thanks." I shrug as I catch the ball.

"No, I mean." She goes. "You're damn good. You're good for a college team. Even my travel softball team has heard of you. And they're all the way in Port Angeles. And you haven't even played your first game yet. Image how good you would be with a little more work."

"I play basketball." I say. "Softball is just to get me in basketball season." I fling the ball to her and it hits her glove with a loud smack.

As Jamie tries to talk me into joining a travel softball team more and more people start to show up.

"We haven't had half this crowd this entire season." I hear one of the girls say as we get ready in the dugout. Coach game me a face guard to wear while I pitch. I put it onto my face and made it comfortable.

I heard the girls in the other dugout whispering as I walked onto the field. Just 9 strikeouts. I whisper to myself. I take a deep breath and fling the ball straight into Jamie's glove. I look over to the other dugout and the girls are dead silent, staring at me.

I love to put fear into people, crush their dreams before we even start the game. I do the same thing on basketball.

The ump calls balls in and I look around for Charlie. I see him sitting in his lawn chair beside Billy and Jacob. I wave to them before the batter steps into the box.

Deep breath. Wind back. Fling forward. Release at thigh. As soon as I let go of the ball I can immediately tell it is a strike. The girl doesn't swing. She doesn't even move her bat.