Paying It Forward

Summary:

Summary- You keep running into Steve at the local coffee shop. He is generous as he is heroic. If only you realized he had ulterior motives.

Warnings- awkwardness, insecurities, and fluff

Author's Note-  Despite the summary this is a fluff fic and not dark in any way. So much awkwardness. Yes, someone can be this oblivious. Ask me about the time I accidentally went on a date without knowing it was a date. Lol.

Warm air blasted your face, as you pulled the heavy glass door open. The scent of freshly ground beans and flaky pastries dusted with powdered sugar swirled around you, filling your nose as you inhaled deeply. The daily stop every morning on your way to work was your own little reward to yourself for your recent promotion. The new position meant longer hours but also higher pay. The jolt of caffeine before dealing with colleagues and putting out fires in the office wasn't the only benefit to this ritual. Every morning for the last two weeks you had gotten to look at him.

Steve Rogers, America's Hero, was always there. He was handsome in his Captain America uniform whenever the news was able to capture a photo of him, but absolutely devastating his sweaters, scarves, and heavy overcoats, snowflakes in his hair and sprinkled on his eyelashes, his cheeks and nose pink from the chill outside.

He was always quiet and gracious. Taking pictures with anyone who asked. Standing in line, refusing to be treated specially by the baristas. Always leaving a tip in the jar. He seemed to be uncomfortable with the pomp and circumstance of being a celebrity. Instead of standing with the ego and bravado, you would have expected, he typically kept his head down, running his fingers through his honeyed locks, shifting his weight from foot to foot. He'd often smile at you as you left with your coffee. The heat in your cheeks would warm you the rest of your journey to work.

This morning the snow was replaced with a cold drizzle. Not enough to call rain but enough to soak you through after being caught in it long enough. Wet and cold, all you could think about was scalding your insides with coffee. Teeth chattering slightly, you moved to stand in line.

Once again, Steve was queuing in front of you, an umbrella hanging from his hand. Of course, he was the type of person who would be prepared for anything. He turned and nodded at you, the corner of his lips quirking into a lopsided grin.

He was still at the sugar and cream station after you had picked up your order. Shivering, you wondered if you really wanted the cardboard sleeve or if the possible burns on your hands would be worth the extra heat.

"Nasty weather today, huh?" he asked.

You nearly dropped your coffee. He had never spoken to you before. Setting down your cup and fiddling with the sleeve, you managed to reply somehow. "Yeah." Very eloquent, you groaned internally.

He gathered his coffee, throwing away his trash. "Uh...Well, try to stay dry."

You looked into his eyes and blurted out, "I'm already wet. So very wet."

His face must have mirrored yours as his eyebrows raised, eyes widened, and jaw hung open. His cheeks were red as he turned and left without another word.

How could you have said that? To him? What was he thinking? What were you thinking? You just told Captain America you were wet. Of course, you meant from the rain. He would get that right? Or did you need to find a new coffee place?

The quick interaction replayed in your mind over and over. The things you should have said, the ways you could have been charming or witty, all the missed opportunities flashed in your mind whenever you had a minute to yourself throughout your day. And as you laid in bed that night, the possible reactions he might have to seeing you again haunted you, keeping sleep just out of your grasp.