Woman

Summary:

Summary- It takes a strong woman to stand up for herself and stronger still to admit when she's been wrong.

Word Count- 2.6k

Warnings- Angst, Fluff, Teasing, Explicit Smut, Language

A/N-This was written for @captain-kelli 's 500 Fam Writing Challenge on Tumblr. My prompt was the song Woman by Kesha.

Work Text:

The music pumped through your ears straight to your veins, the beat coursing through you. You sang along with the words on the screen as another patron blasted out their tone-deaf vocals into the microphone. The hole-in-the-wall bar smelled of beer and bodies, the worn tables and chairs pushed to the side to create a small dance floor. Cramped as it was, it was exactly the place you needed right now.

Your girlfriends had come to your rescue. Saving you from the one person who was supposed to be your hero. Your boyfriend, Steve Rogers. Captain America himself. He never knew when to back down. And as a result, you were suffocating under his, however good-intentioned, attentions.

But not here, here you were dancing with friends. Drinking your, was it third or fourth, glass of cheap red wine. Singing like you were going to win a tv talent competition. No one to tell you you'd had enough. No one to tell you what your limits were. You had no limits tonight.

It wasn't that you didn't love Steve, you did. He only wanted what was best for you, but sometimes you wanted things that were bad. You wanted to be stupid. To let loose. That was something he didn't understand.

Jess, got up on the stage next. Your circle of friends screamed like idiots in support of your friend. She started singing and you downed your glass of wine before Jess could shatter your glass. Beautiful she was. Singer, she was not.

A waitress tapped you on the shoulder holding a fresh drink in her hand. "Here you go, hun. From the man at the bar."

You spun around. You may have been buzzing but there was no way you were accepting a drink from some psycho at the bar. And there he was, shy lopsided grin with a quick wave. Steve Rogers was there to protect you from yourself once again. You took the glass of wine and drank it all in several large gulps not caring how it may look or how it may burn.

"Did you see who showed up?" Jess asked as she rejoined your group.

You nodded and pushed passed her. This had to stop. "You shouldn't be here," you stated.

Guilt played across his features. "I'm just watching my girl have fun, making sure she's safe." He shrugged.

"I'm not a girl. I don't need you to keep me safe." When would he realize that he didn't need to rescue you? There was nothing to rescue you from.

He glared at you from his bar stool. "I know you don't, but it makes me feel better."

"What about how I feel?" you asked. With a frustrated growl, you left Steve to return back to your friends. Why couldn't you just have a night out with the girls?

Enough was enough. If he didn't get the point after this, nothing would drive it home. You gave the DJ a $20 to skip the line and told him what you wanted to sing.

Taking the mic, you got up on the small stage and waited for the music to begin. The smile on Steve's face evaporated as you started to sing reading the words that flashed on the screen to the side. You stared straight at him as you belted out the chorus.

I'm a motherfucking woman, baby, alright

I don't need a man to be holding me too tight