Chapter 5

Choices.... that's what it all comes down to.....choices. Do you stay or do you go. Tell the truth or lie. Keep the secret or share. What the choice is doesn't matter. The good, the bad, the rushed and thought out. Life is all about the choices we make and the unforeseen fallout.

It wasn't long after Rick had slammed the door that Doc came in search of his missing patient. "Maggie I need you to go back inside the centre so I can monitor you and your friends."

I knew she was reluctant to let go of the embrace. I was too for that matter. "Come see me in the morning before we leave."

I didn't say a word. I couldn't make another promise to Maggie I couldn't keep. She deserved more than that from me. It all depended on wether or not I would find Maggie alone from the rest of the group. Which I doubted would happen.

Doc stood by my side as he watched Maggie move stiffly back upstairs and inside. "So that's the prison group."

At a loss for words I stared at the closed door. "Ya, some of them."

Clearing his throat Doc wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "Did you want to monitor them tonight?"

What I wanted to do, what I needed to do, was cry. Shaking my head I mumbled, "No my job here is done."

With a sigh, exhausted I began to walk towards my trailer. Watching me for a moment Doc spoke up, "Unfinished business is the worst kind to have. Words left unsaid become unbearable baggage."

Pausing I looked over my shoulder at Doc. "Sometimes you can't go home Doc. Sometimes things just.....change."

Heavy hearted and all but emotionally destroyed I just wanted to shut myself away in my trailer. To turn off the outside world for just a moment so I could just breath. As much as I wanted it I knew it wasn't going to happen. In the three months since Shane and I left the prison he never strayed far from my side for very long.

I had just closed the door behind me when it opened back up. Without looking behind me I kept walking to the back of the trailer towards my bed.

Locking the door Shane moved the blind so he could see outside. "We need to talk."

My patients with everyone and everything had all but run out. "Your not deaf Shane. I told you once already we don't need to talk."

Barley able to drag his eyes from the window but for a second Shane nodded at me. "Uh ya we do. I know you know the prison group is here."

Seriously what was Shane looking for. Did he honestly think Rick was going to come talk to me. That was a guaranteed no from the way he had looked at me. Any connection, any bond that once laid between us had been severed.

"Shane," I snapped finally catching his full attention. "I'm done and I'm going to bed. If you want to talk go find someone else."

"I saw you with Maggie." Shane said finally turning from the door.

Shrugging my shoulders I could feel my temper rising. "I'm sure you did."

With his hands on his hips Shane cracked his jaw back and forth. "What is that suppose to mean."

"Nothing," I snapped. "Hershel was attacked and he didn't make it. I was only grieving with a friend."

Scrubbing his hands down his face Shane walked closer. Leaning on the counter he began to drum his fingers as he looked at the floor. "So what does this mean?"

When I didn't answer right away Shane looked up at me with a myriad of emotion flickering in his eyes. "It means nothing other than our guys were lucky they we close by. It means that instead of loosing four we only lost one. It means I'm done talking about this and I'm going to bed."