Preview to... The Trouble With (Romance)

Authors note: This is the first novel in a three part series.

Chapter One.......Seriously

Have you ever wanted to cut loose. Be anyone other than yourself for twenty four hours or even just a few for that matter. Just be free and damn the consequences. We'll I sure did and I knew exactly who I wanted to do it with. That gorgeous piece of man flesh sitting at the table across from ours.

He looked like he just strolled off the cover of a magazine. Everything from his jet black curly hair, to his piercing blue eyes, to those extremely kissable lips were memorizing. Not to mention his tanned skin, strong facial features and dimples both in his cheeks and chin. The Armani business suit with gold cuff links was obviously tailored to him. The designer glasses and the ring on his finger flat out stated money. You could just tell he took good care of himself so I could just imagine what his body looked like. From watching him you could tell he was confident and cocky. The kind of guy who knew he was good looking.

Yes I wanted to have me a piece of that fine male specimen. However fantasy and imagination was as far as that was going to go. He was so far out of my league we weren't even in the same ball park. I had seen him before tonight and he had never so much as glanced my way. He was always had some beautiful piece of eye candy on his arm who was struggling to keep his attention from wondering. Even now I watched a beautiful waitress tripping all over herself just taking their drink orders. With a flash of his smile the world seemed to be his. Still a girl could enjoy the view.

"Hey where did you go?" Rory waved her hand in front of my face drawing my attention back to the table.

Rory and I had met a few years ago at the advertising firm we both worked at. I had just moved to New York from a city in western Canada and was profoundly lost. I had caught my husband red handed cheating on me and six other time as I later found out. I had wanted to go as far away as I could afford to with my girls. I had managed to find us a cute apartment and secured a job as a receptionist at Baker and Romeo Advertising Firm. Past that I was completely unaware and unprepared for life in New York City. Thankfully Rory took pity on me and showed me the ropes and introduced me to her friends. From that point we became joined at the hip.

"Nowhere I was just admiring the view." I pointed at Mr. Armani suit.

"That view is most defiantly impressive isn't. Rumour has it that the ride is unbelievably good too." Forever the clown Rory wagged he hand in front of her face pretending to faint.

Saddling up on the stool beside me Vanessa chimed in, "Ya I also heard he expects you to get off and leave as soon the ride is finished."

Vanessa had moved to my apartment building a few months back and our kids went to the same school. Some of the other parents found her to be too forward and out there. Actually she reminded me a lot of the character Samantha from Sex & The City. Either way there was no hidden agenda when it came to Vanessa and I loved that about her.

"Ya well I would defiantly like to take that ride. Even if he was kicking me off as soon as it was over. I would still line up." I couldn't help but laugh at such a ludicrous thought.

Who was I kidding. I wasn't the spontaneous spur of the moment kind of girl. I sure as shit wasn't the fun and flirty girl either that New York men like. No I was the over think and analyze everything to death girl. Check all your boxes and make a list kind of girl.

Leaning over Vanessa plucked the cherry from my drink and ate it. "So how long has it been since you went on a ride? Or are you working on becoming a born again virgin?"

I punched Vanessa in the arm nearly knocking her off the stool. "Screw you bitch I'm just not easy and that was my cherry" I couldn't resist smiling. "I can tell you this it's been so long since I got laid I might need to dust off the cobwebs."

A waitress who could barley contain her scowl came over to our table with a round of drinks. Questioningly we all looked at each other wondering who ordered this round.

Sounding rather put out the waitress explained, "This round is on Will and Mac." As we must have still looked confused she huffily continued, "The two guys sitting at the table across from you."

Shocked we all looked at each other. Did he realize we were talking about him. No he couldn't have....it wasn't possible. So why the round of drinks?

Vanessa was the first to recover naturally. "I'm going to go say thank you."

With that she flipped her long blonde hair over her shoulder and bounced off the stool. It wasn't any wonder why men gravitated to Vanessa after all she was blonde, big boobs, tiny waist and all legs. Rolling our eyes at each other Rory and I figured Vanessa was gone for the night. Still we would hang around for a while to make sure everything was ok.

Turning my back to Vanessa and her latest conquest I watch the hockey game on one of the big screen T.V's. I nearly jumped out of my seat when a deep English accented male voice spoke from behind me.

"Who you hoping for?" Spinning around I discovered Mr. Armani and his friend had joined our table.

The words holly shit kept running threw my head on an endless banner. The low timbers of his voice slid up and down my spine. Like most warm blooded females I liked the English accent but on him it was supper sexy.

"Vancouver Canucks and you?" We'll at least that sounded like an adult response.

"I don't like hockey. Not really my thing." Dismissing me he reached into his pocket and retrieved his phone. Lost in his phone is basically where he spent the rest of the night. Occasionally he would look up and briefly join the conversation and order a round of drinks. More or less he was killing time waiting to see if his buddy was going to hook up with Vanessa. What a fucking ass but it almost made you want him even more in some weird twisted way.

I was just coming around the corner from the bathrooms when he grabbed my hand and started to lead me towards the doors. At first I was too dumb founded to do anything but fallow along. However once the night air hit me my brain finally woke up and told my feet to stop moving.

Impatiently he turned and looked at me as if I was a misbehaving child. "What is it?"

"What are you doing? Where are we going?" Seriously what the hell was going on.

"Look I'm not interested nor do I have the time to play games. I know you like me and I'm horny. We are both adults now we can either do something about it or not. Let me know." Wow talk about balls. He was right but still to just put it out there like that.

I stepped back as if I had been slapped in the face. Who the hell did he think he was and I was not that desperate. "Come again I don't think I heard you right?"

"No you heard me right. So are you in or out? It's a simple question." I wanted to slap that sexy as hell cocky smile off his face.