Ethics

Being a responsible witch means that there are some ethical and moral decisions to consider. Whilst witchcraft is not inherently evil and is used for many good things, it can also be used to do harmful things. Sometimes you can do harmful things without even realising it, and that is normally as a result of not having researched witchcraft thoroughly enough, or failing to perform divination readings. Where your moral compass lies is not up to me, but I hope I can at least advise you on what is generally considered "not okay" when it comes to witchcraft.

Know Thyself

In Scott Cunningham's Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner is a list known as "The 13 Goals of a Witch". The first goal, "know yourself", I regard as a crucial step in practising witchcraft ethically. Before even beginning to research what other people think is acceptable and unacceptable in witchcraft, you should first decide what you consider be to moral and immoral. Everyone has a different stance on witchcraft and how it should be practised ethically (or not so ethically). On the extreme end, some might contend that any kind of witchcraft is immoral. On the other extreme, some might be totally fine with the idea of hexing people over petty things. You need to decide for yourself where you lie on the spectrum of morality.

Ask yourself these basic questions (there are no right or wrong answers, you are just getting to know yourself better):

🧙‍♀️ Why do I want to do witchcraft? Healing, introspection, connection? Fame, money, revenge? Escapism, faith, knowledge? To serve yourself, or to serve others?

⚖️ Will I be incorporating religious moral values into my craft? Christian values? Muslim values? Wiccan values? Buddhist values? No religion, just your own values? What are your values?

🕸 Do I believe in karma? (or similar concept e.g. Threefold Law, Wyrd(1), or sin) Do you believe that what goes around comes around? Does the universe have a way of making bad things happen to bad people, or is it your own responsibility?

👻 What kinds of spirits and entities am I comfortable working with? Nature spirits, faefolk, spirit guides? Angels, ancestors, ghosts? Demons, devils, djinn? Only God? None?

🚦 How do I feel about casting spells without consent? Never ever? Only in emergencies? All the time?

🧶 What would it take for me to cast a binding spell on someone? A bully? Random guy at the store? Abusive ex? A politician?

💀 What would it take for me to curse/hex someone? Never ever? Every opportunity you get? Only as a last resort?

The Witches' Pyramid

A lot of witches like to follow what is known as The Witches Pyramid. It is essentially a way of working in witchcraft that is designed to ensure success (your goal). In order to achieve the goal at the top, a witch must fulfil the 4 actions at its base.

 In order to achieve the goal at the top, a witch must fulfil the 4 actions at its base