Exercises 401

Here are some intermediate and advanced exercises pertaining to the topics discussed since Exercises 301 i.e. plants, deities, and the moon.

Plant Connection Exercise

This is a somewhat abridged version of a plant communication exercise described in Juliet Diaz's "Plant Witchery". It's a valuable exercise for any witch looking to practise green witchery or begin to work with plants. This exercise is best practised by connecting with a single plant over 30 days - this way you can form a deep and strong relationship with your chosen plant.

You will need:
> A plant (herb, spice, or tree)
> A quiet space where you won't be disturbed
> Incense or herb bundle
> 20 - 40 minutes
> (Optional) calming music

You will need:> A plant (herb, spice, or tree)> A quiet space where you won't be disturbed> Incense or herb bundle> 20 - 40 minutes> (Optional) calming music

Instructions:

1. Start by choosing a single plant, spice, or tree to connect with. Find a quiet place free from distractions. You can listen to some soft music as long as it does not distract your thoughts for this meditation.

2. Cleanse the room and yourself with incense/herb bundle smoke. When finished, you can choose to either extinguish your smoke or leave it burning for the length of the exercise (smoke can either enhance the experience or distract you from it, so just go with your preference).

3. Place yourself in a comfortable seated position or lie down. Place the plant in front of you; if you're lying down, place it above your head. Keep your shoulders relaxed, soften your facial muscles, close your eyes, and breathe gently. Lay your hands wherever they feel most comfortable

4. Take a moment to acknowledge your physical presence. Take a deep breath in through your nose, and exhale out from your mouth. Free your mind from negative thoughts and allow whatever comes to consciousness to just flow away.

5. In your mind, say, "I'm ready for your medicine and wisdom". Repeat the phrase several more times slowly and with clear intention. Release all expectations and allow your plant to work with you as it sees best for you. Remember that plants are all loving beings, so if you feel the need to cry, cry. If you feel the need to laugh, laugh. Allow yourself to journey through your emotional roots. They are efficient pathways in visiting all parts of the spirit.
Take a long deep breath in and a long deep breath out. Let go, surrender, be free. Keep your focus on your breath. What colours do you see behind your closed eyes? What shapes? Stay in this space as long as you like while your plant guides you through your journey inward.
Your plant will nudge you to remind you it's there with you and there's nothing to worry about. It will spread loving and calming energies all over your body, nourishing you at deeper levels.

6. When you are ready and have released discomfort and fear, focus on one thought. Think about one thing you love about yourself. Hold on to that thought, then let it flow away, keeping the feeling it raised within you. Take that loving feeling and fill your entire being with it. Take your time-feed your body, mind, and spirit with your love.