In The Heights

Outfit:

I make my way through the streets with abuela following next to me as we make our way towards Usnavi's store

I make my way through the streets with abuela following next to me as we make our way towards Usnavi's store. I always come here with abuela before I go to work at the salon. You see I have never really wanted to do the nails and hair of other people even if it's my favourite part of the day to see new faces and chat with them. I actually have always wanted to open my own dance studio so I can teach little kids the joy of our cultures and other cultures ways of movement.

It's also the best way to express and rid your emotions, exactly how I did when my mama and papa passed away. Abuela taught me to dance by showing me all of the music videos on tv and in movies and since then my love for it has grown. I even taught Usnavi and Nina how to dance when we were younger. When I first moved with abuela, who is my real abuela I was about 5 years old. Ever since then I've been living in the heights with my massive familia.

The bell goes when I open the door of the boiling little shop and run towards my curly haired best friend who is near the fridge. He turns to see me and his eyes widen before a smile raises on his star freckled cheeks.

"Ay yo goodmornin Bebe," he greets to me nudging my arm. I roll my eyes at him and do a small pout knowin that he likes to tease me ever since I was younger with that name.

"Usnavi u got any hot Cheetos?" I ask him doing a little spin on the way to chips isle. He lets out a chuckle and walks towards my isle.

"Not even a hello or a good morning?" He asks me whilst I try to get the Cheetos from the top shelf. I jump and grab a pack before looking back to him with a big smile and shrug.

"Goodmornin and can we move the Cheetos lower, I have to struggle every day to get these!" I whine tapping his nose. He leans on the shelf blocking my way to the till so that I have to lift my chin to meet his eyes.

"You know seeing u struggle every morning is my favourite part Bebe," He laughs before grabbing my hand and spinning me and then dipping me. My curls fall back with my head and then I lift it and see his face close to mine.

"Ayooooo!" I hear abuela shout whilst coming through the door making us stand up straight quickly. We look towards each other and start laughing at each other's awkward faces. I turn my face towards the kindest women I know but still feel Usnavi's eyes watching me.

"Abuela my fridge broke I got cafe but not con leche!" He tells her with a grunt making his way back to the fridge.

"Try my mothers recipe, one can of condensed milk," she tells him with a smile. I make my way back towards the fridge next to the Dominican boy and reach to the very back of the fridge to grab the milk.

"Boy, how do I know this shop better then you?" I tell him handing over the milk so he can see the date. Still novo.

"Niceeeeee." He sings while kissing my cheek making the red blush raise onto my cheeks. I look towards abuela who winks at me with a large smile. I look into my purse and grab a $5 bill trying to hand Usnavi the bull but he ignores it and dances around me.

"Usnavi please take the money, you know how I hate it when u don't." I say holding it out to him but he keeps dodging it and makes his way behind the counter. He shakes his head with the smirk from before, I huff and drag my note up his neck to his chin lifting it up.

"Sorry Bebe," he apologises pushing the Cheetos towards me.

"I hate you, see adios estupido! Bye abuela!" I tell him grabbin my crisps and winking. My curls bounce round my face as I walk out of the door and onto the hot street. I look back through the window to see abuela and Usnavi having a chat.

On my way towards the salon I see Sonny running so I lift up my hand which he high fives. He's gonna be so late and is probs gonna get killed when he gets there. I make my way into the salon seeing I'm the first one there, making me turn on the lights. I plug in my headphones and play a song that seems to run through my body. My feet naturally begin to move and my hips sway on my way to the broom in the corner of the room. Once the brooms in my hand I begin to sweep and turn, my leg kicks up near my head and then I dip low. I lean back and flick the mirror lights on to the beat of the song my curls fly around and my thick lips sing the song.

Once the song is over the salon girls make their way into the salon and tell me good morning with the hot coffees in their manicured hands. Ahhh so that's where she was huh? Daniela made her way over to me and gives me a wink which makes me giggle.

"You know Nina arrived last night and she should be coming round later?" Carla tells me from the till, filing her long nails.

"No mi diga already! I thought it was next week!" I shout or more like squeal knowing that Nina is coming home! My curly hair twin finally coming home after living her life at college.

"Vanessa should be here-"

"Ola familiaaaa!" Vanessa sings whilst she comes through the door, taking a sip of her coffee. She makes her way over to me and hugs me tightly however trying to steal a cheeto from my open bag. I shake my finger and snatch the bag before she can grab one.

"Querida u know that you can have anything that's mine, money, a place to stay but these na na na."

"Please not even one?" She pouts.

"Desculpa! Nothing I can do about it," I shrug and eat one. I smell the coffee coming out her cups and it instantly reminds me of Usnavi.

"Fine then I might just go back to Usnavi's shop and tell him about the little crush you've had on him since you were 17!" She whisper shouts but I cover my mouth before any of the girls could hear and begin telling everyone.

"That's blackmail." I say in a whine. She raises her eyebrow and holds her hand out.

"Pay up or own up babes." She states with a smirk. I place a cheeto into her hand.

"Happy?"

"Very." She laughs ruffling my curls.