14. Mason Gets Insecure

Before I knocked on Mason's door I turned around to see if the three manipulative devils were anywhere to be seen. They were. They stood leaning up against a tree staring right at me. Shock waved with a smirk and I turned back around in annoyance. I knocked on the door and waited for it to be answered. 

I bet they are just waiting for me to hug Mason, or hold his hand, or whatever, but that's not happening. The door opened and Mason stood there. He smiled brightly and embraced me in a hug. Dammit...

"Did the bus ride home go okay? I'm sorry I had to leave you..." I apologized. He looked to his left and then back at me putting on a smile.

"I-It was gr-great! You don't h-have to be sorry" Mason brushed it off, but something made me doubt his statement.

"Is your Dad home?" I asked curiously.

"N-no, he's working r-right now..." He trailed off and I tried to change the subject not wanting him to become upset.

"Hey, it's okay. What do you wanna do today?" I asked. He perked up at my words. 

"L-lets go to the g-graveyard!" Mason suggested. Out in the open...Lock, Shock, and Barrel would be able to see us easier...I'll just have to try and not do something that they would want to do as well...I'm already gonna have to hug them.

"Okay! Sure, I was wanting to see Zero again" I said. He went to hold my hand, but I quickly moved it away. He paused a look of confusion and hurt on his face, making me immediately feel bad. 

"Wh-what's wrong?" He asked looking up at me.

"Nothing! My hand is just hurting a lot today..." I lied.

"Oh...what happened, d-did someone h-hurt you?" He asked in worry.

"No, nothing like that! I accidentally hit it on my bed frame" I said. It wasn't a very good lie, but it was believable knowing me. I felt bad about lying...I had never lied to Mason before starting to go to this school...now it's like that's all I do.

"Y-you need to start being more c-careful" Mason scolded. I laughed and playfully hit his shoulder.

"I think I'm fine. Let's go!" We turned and made our way to the graveyard. Although, on our way, a thought entered my mind. What if Oogie was there, like last time? Oogie is pure evil and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather deal with those three mutants than with him. My Dad defeated him and embarrassed him when he tried to kill off Santa and my Mom. We're gonna be there alone, the mayor's son and the daughter of the pumpkin king. He would kill us if he got the chance or at least hurt us severely.

"Maybe, we shouldn't go" I piped up. "You remember what happened last time, Oogie was there. Speaking of has your Dad told you anything about what happened?"

"You k-know he doesn't t-tell me anything," Mason said. "Wh-what about your D-dad?"

"He doesn't like talking about those things in front of me unless it's necessary" I answered. 

"I-If you really don't w-wanna go, we don't have to," Mason said.

"I'd rather not, do you wanna just hang out near the fountain?" I asked. 

"Y-yeah! Sure" He went to grab my hand but stopped himself. "S-sorry, it's a h-habit"

"Please, don't apologize," I said, feeling bad about the whole ordeal. He looked confused but didn't say anything.

He walked ahead and I looked around, keeping an eye out for Lock, Shock, and Barrel. Sure enough, they were there and mocking me. Lock sent me a wink and I scoffed, turning away. They're so annoying...

"Wait up, Mason!" I called as I ran to catch up with him. We arrived at the fountain and sat down on the side, making sure to not fall in. 

"Um...Y/N?" Mason asked. 

"Yeah?"

"A-am I...Am I-I a nuisance?" Mason asked. My eyes widened in shock and I turned to look at him. He was looking down fiddling with his fingers.

"No! What would make you think that?" I asked. He looked up at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"N-nothing..." He answered. I furrowed my eyebrows, not buying it at all.

"Are you lying to me?" I questioned.

"No, I-I'm not. I just h-had a feeling, y-you might be sick of me" Mason said sadly.

"Mason, I could never get sick of you. You've been my friend for years and not just because I'm the pumpkin king's daughter" I had the urge to hug him but decided against it knowing those three were probably still watching. "Whatever gave you that idea is insane because I could never think you were a nuisance"

Mason lied his head on my shoulder causing my cheeks to heat up. I wonder if they're gonna make me do this...it shouldn't count, right? I don't even care, Mason's hurting right now and I want to help him feel better.

I lied my head on his and let out a content sigh. I closed my eyes and listened to the calm sounds of Halloween town...well calm for me... I opened my eyes and saw Mason looking up at me. He smiled and moved his head off my shoulder.

"Are you sure someone didn't make you think those things?" I asked once again. He sighed.

"I-I'm sure..."

(Hope you enjoyed it! As always have a good day/night! TOODLES!!!)