32. Not So Happily-Ever-After

(Prepare yourselves)

Y/N's fist softly made contact with the door as she knocked on it three times. Her group gathered behind her, as anticipation built in all of them. Especially, Mason and her partners. None of them knew what the outcome would be.

"One moment, please," a feminine voice called from behind the door.

Y/N held her hands in front of her, as she picked at her nails, out of nervousness. Shock put her hand on Y/N's back, and rubbed her thumb up and down, gently.

"It'll be all right," she whispered to her girlfriend.

The door opened and there stood Bailey L/N. Y/N immediately recognized her, because of the pictures they saw at the library.

Bailey looked down at Y/N, her eyebrows furrowed, as if she were trying to connect the dots of something. "Yes? May I help you?"

Y/N felt her heart pick up pace and her mouth go dry. She wanted to speak. She wanted to tell her mom how much she loved her and that she was sorry she didn't come sooner. She wanted to fall into her arms and hug her. But...nothing.

Oliver stepped in. "Ms. L/N?"

Bailey turned her attention to Oliver. "Oh, Oli! It's good to see you again. Are these friends of yours?"

"Yes, ma'am," Oliver nodded. "Would it be okay if we came in. There's something... important we need to discuss."

Bailey nodded. "Of course. Come on in," Bailey moved aside and the six of them walked in. "Please, sit down. Make yourself comfortable."

The house was just as cozy and sweet on the inside as it was on the out. And Y/N found ease and comfort in it. Bailey locked her door and sat down in a chair near them.

"So, what did you need to talk about?" Bailey asked.

Oliver looked over at Y/N. "Are you ready?"

Y/N nodded, swallowing her panic, deciding that the sooner she got it over with, the sooner she would know how her mom felt.

Y/N looked into her mom's eyes. They were the same color as Y/N's, and Y/N was beginning to realize just how similar the two of them looked.

Y/N let out a shaky breath. "Um, My name is Y/N..." Bailey's eyes went wide, as if something had been confirmed for her. "Y/N Skellington."

Bailey's posture slouched, clearly, being disappointed. Y/N saw this as a good sign. "But, my last name used to be...L/N. Before the bad men came and I had to leave."

Bailey's lip quivered and she held her hand over her mouth. "Y/N?"

"Mom?"

"You're alive?" Bailey asked.

"Yeah...I guess so," Y/N whispered.

"Oh my god..." Bailey muttered. She stood from her chair and held her face in her hands. Her head had begun to pound, slightly, due to the shock of the situation.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner," Y/N apologized. "I didn't know you were still alive, until a week ago."

"Did you...did you read my letter?" Bailey asked, looking back at her daughter. Y/N unzipped her bag and pulled out the folded piece of paper, holding it up to where her mom would see it.

"Oh, honey," Bailey said, her voice wavering. "I'm so sorry you couldn't meet your father. He would've loved to be here now."

Y/N bit her lip to hold back the tears that, so desperately, wanted to fall. "Can I hug you?"