Chapter 35

Lyla's pov

Who do these people think they are, trying to tear my daughter and I apart? I own her, she is mine. She will do whatever I say, I am her mother, and ever since the apocalypse, she's been acting like a juvenile delinquent, running off with her boy toy.

In my opinion, Beth deserves Carl more, she contributes to the group by taking care of Judith, she's loving and caring, Rayne is not. I love Rayne, don't get me wrong, I just know when someone is more deserving than another. Rayne hasn't done a thing, except for catch a squirrel a couple of times. She's only thirteen years old, and she has everyone in this group wrapped around her finger. No thirteen year old is responsible enough to be in the position she is right now. Rick looks to her for advice half the time, not directly, but he looks to Carl, who looks to Rayne.

This group is going to fall hard if they keep doing what they are. They're blind in their own rage of hate. They hate walkers and the Governor so much, that they're oblivious to the damage their doing to themselves. They're hurting everyone. Even though we took in lots of people from Woodbury, we're weaker than ever before. We need good leaders, not little girls wanting to be in power.

Rayne's pov

Get dressed, eat breakfast and see Judith. As always, everyone was in a happy mood and made good conversation. Carol was taking some of the Woodbury rescues to show them their new responsibilities. I smiled at the new arrivals as I picked up my knife that Rick had given me.

I walked down to the fences and started stabbing them, a job nobody wanted to do, but everyone had to help out with. I was almost done when something caught my eye down by the base of the fence. I bent down to pick it up, and when I did, I almost puked. It was half of a mouse or rat. It looks like someone fed the walkers. I held onto the remains and walked back to the prison, and immediately went to Rick. Luckily he was talking to Carol.

"Hey, Rick, this is important." I said, jogging up to him. Carol nodded to him and walked away, she was halfway up the stairs when I showed Rick the remains.

"What is this?" He asked in a low whisper.

"Half of a mouse or rat, I found it by the fences." I said and Rick ran his hand over his beard.

"To me it looks like someone's feeding them." I said and Rick nodded.

"Yeah, we need to figure this out, who knows how long it's been going on for. This explains why there have been more of them recently." I nodded and disposed of the carcass.

I went back outside to help out with whatever I could. Everyone was working on something. Rick had started a garden and it's looking great, everything was starting to develop and grow nicely. I looked to the fences to see Maggie there, as well as Sasha, one of the Woodbury rescues. I knew Maggie wasn't the one who was feeding them, she knew better. I walked over to Carl, who was currently holding Judith.

"Hey." I said and continued to look at every possible suspect.

"What's up?"

"So, you can't tell anyone." I started and he looked at me, one eyebrow raised.

"Tell anyone what?" He asked and I looked around once more before telling him to follow me. We walked around to an isolated part of the courtyard, and I turned to face him.

"Someone's feeding the walkers." I said and his eyes grew wide.

"What?" He asked and I nodded,

"Someone's feeding them, out by the fences. I found half of a dead rat earlier today.''Carl nodded and we went out to the garden. I saw two girls and a boy standing by the fence with a buildup of walkers, and they were just watching them. I stopped and stared at them.

"Who are they?"

"Um, Patrick's the boy, the littlest girl is Mika and the other is Lizzie." Carl said and I nodded. It looked like Lizzie got mad, and she shoved Patrick. I decided to go check it out, just to make sure nothing bad would happen and when I got there I was instantly bombarded by Lizzie.

"Aren't they just people too?" She yelled, I stopped in my tracks and looked back to Carl, who was a few steps behind me, he just eyed Lizzie suspiciously.

"Who?" I asked Lizzie

"Them," She pointed at the walkers, "they're just different. They still have names, they're still human." She said and I got really confused.

"Those aren't people, they were at one point, but they're not anymore. They are different, but they're not people." I said and she got really mad.

"How could you say that?!" She yelled at me, and shoved me back. I stood my ground, only stumbling back a step or two. I advanced toward Lizzie and she didn't back down. I squinted my eyes, and looked at her dead in the eye,

"You do that one more time, you're going to regret it." I said and walked away, Carl following me. 

"What's her issue? Is she demented?" I ask and Carl shrugged while patting Judith on the back.

"She's got some nerve, I'll give her that much." I said and Carl nodded.

"I don't know what's wrong with her." He said and bounced Judith up and down.

"Well, whatever it is, she needs to chill out. Being in Woodbury might've done something to her. Who even knows what they told them."

"I don't know, but I still don't trust them that much."

"I don't either." I said and put my hands on my hips looking back at the fence where Mika picked some flowers.

Patrick walked over to us and I nudged Carl.

"Hey, do you guys mind if I tag along with you today? I want to help." I could tell Patrick was nervous.

"Yeah, I was just going to help out with the garden really." I said shielding my eyes from the bright sun.

"I'm on Judith duty today." Carl said

"Ok, let's start at the garden." I told Patrick, walking past him and down to where Hershel and some others were watering the plants.

"Hey Hershel, you can go, I'll take over."

"Thank you." He said and handed me the watering can.

"You know how to water plants?" I asked Patrick and he nodded.

"Ok, well, water." I pushed the can into his hands. I looked over to the piglets we recently found and saw one of them laying down, barely moving. That's odd.

Rick hopped over the fence and looked at the pig, squatting down in the process. He felt around the pig and ran his hand over his newly forming beard.

"Now what can I do?" Patrick asked me, knocking me out of my trance.

"Um, Maggie looks like she could use some help on the fences." I pointed over to where Maggie and Sasha were nonstop killing the walkers who piled up.

"Ok, thank you so much um.."

"I'm Rayne." I said and he nodded.

"Thank you Rayne." I smiled as he walked off. I set the watering can at the edge of the garden and went over to Rick and the pigs.

"What's wrong with that one?" I leaned on the fence.

"We're not sure yet, she's been lethargic for almost two days now."

"Did you tell Hershel? He was a vet and had a farm."

"Yeah, he said he'd check it out when he got the time."

"Doesn't look like she has much time left." Rick nodded, and climbed out of the fence.