Chapter 39

Rayne's pov

I've been bored out of my mind since I've been in quarantine. There's nothing to do except stare at the wall and count to one hundred, and then repeat. Three times a day people come to give me food and more tea. Usually they're from Woodbury, but occasionally it'll be someone from our original group. Nobody's really come to visit me, given it's only been two days, but still, it gets lonely.

Hershel's been back once, Carl hasn't been back at all. No others have been admitted to quarantine since, but they still aren't going to take any chances. And in the two days I've been in here, Rick's created a council, a group of people that run things, kind of like a government, but better. Hershel, Rick, Daryl and surprisingly Michonne are in the council.

I've never really talked or interacted much with Michonne, but she seems like she's adjusted well, and she seems to be pulling her own weight. I hope the council works out, this is the most civilized we've been since the beginning. There are all of these changes going on, but I'm stuck in here, doing nothing.

Ricks' pov

The council has been formed and everything is running smoothly. Nobody's shown any signs of being sick, which is good. Rayne's the only one, and it was just a coughing fit. Maybe she just had a bug, who knows, but Hershel says it's still not safe to let her out, just in case she's still infected.

I've been working on our crops in the past few days, pulling weeds and watering the plants. The Woodbury rescues have been doing a great job of clearing the fence, which has been oddly crowded lately. The logs we put up are still holding, so we've had no issues with the fence going down. Nobody's found any more rat carcasses, which hopefully means Lizzie isn't feeding them anymore.

I looked around the prison yard and saw everyone doing something. I need to pull more weeds today and unclog the water supply. Carol volunteered to unclog the water supply, but I think she's better off inside with Beth and Judith just in case something happens. She disagrees though, saying she needs to help out more around the prison, but everyone appreciates her doing the laundry and cooking the food.

I was about to head outside when I heard yelling. I turned and ran to the sound to see Daryl fighting with Carol about Merle. Merle's just been sort of a background helper the last few months, who would've guessed? He stayed when Andrea left us again, going back to the Governor.

"He's white trash, and good for nothing!" Carol yelled and Daryl paced back and forth trying to keep his cool.

"No he ain't, and you know it!" Daryl yelled back and Carol was about to retort when I intervened.

"Stop it, Daryl, go cool off-"

"Nah, I'm good, come on Merle, if we're going to be treated like this, I'm out." Daryl said walking away with Merle trailing behind. This is not good. Lyla's going to be throwing a fit, we're going to start running out of food, and there's still the threat of the Governor, great.

Daryl stormed out of the doors and disappeared.

Carol's pov

I'm sick and tired of me being treated like a defenseless woman around here. I can do things too. I can help Rick unclog the water supply, and I can help out a lot more than just laundry and cooking. Merle walked up to me and started instigating. Kept saying things about how I'm just a background character, and how I'm not important to the survival of this establishment. I walked away, not wanting to fight with Merle, but when Daryl started defending his words, I lost it.

I didn't mean to lose it completely, but I guess the pent up rage just took over. I never meant to make Daryl leave, but he did, walked right out of the doors and nobody tried to stop him. This place is falling apart just as soon as it's being built up.