Chapter 33

Rayne's pov

By nightfall everyone was packing up and carrying tanks of gasoline and lighters. I stayed back with Beth and Hershel. Judith was napping, Beth and Hershel went to read or something. Rick headed out, followed by everyone else. Carl waved to me as he left, and I couldn't help but get a little nervous about him leaving. I'm sure everything was going to be ok. They all walked out and I heard their trucks, cars and a motorcycle go out of the gates. I watched from a window, their vehicles disappearing behind the trees.

I stepped back from the window and walked back to check on Judith. She was still sleeping, peaceful as ever. I walked down into the showers Rick and a couple others had set up and decided that a quick shower couldn't hurt.

After my shower I went to make sure Judith was alright, because I didn't like leaving her alone for too long. Beth was holding her and singing, I walked to my cell and brushed my fingers through my hair, it was getting really long, I'm going to need to cut it soon. Hershel came by my cell and said,

"I'm going to go check the fences, see if they're stable." He said and I nodded.

I sat down on my bed and cracked my back. I laid back and closed my eyes. I heard Beth singing softly down the hall and the doors shut when Hershel walked out. I wonder how the others are doing. I hope the innocents live from Woodbury, not everyone deserves to die.

I can't afford to think about that though, not with everything that's been going on recently with my mom. It's just so ironic that in the end of the world, everyone would manage to meet like this. It's sort of a relief that I found out my dad is actually Daryl though, and I can see some resemblances now that it's been brought to my attention.

We have the same piercing blue eyes, and I'm pretty sure I got my love of bows from him too, even though my dad was the one to introduce me. Our stubborn attitudes are the same, no doubt about it. Our temperament was the same, kind of explosive if provoked but calm nonetheless.

"Hey Rayne?" Beth asked from down the hall.

"Yeah?" I asked holding onto the bar of the cell she was in.

"Come here, I'm bored and Judith just fell asleep."

"All she ever does is sleep it seems like." I said with a small laugh. I walked into the room and leaned up against the wall.

"Yeah, it's better than being up and crying all the time."

"That couldn't be more true." We fell into a silence.

"What do you think?"

"What do I think about what?" I asked her.

"The whole Woodbury thing."

"Well, not everyone deserves to die, but some, like The Governor deserve to die."

"Why? What did the Governor do? Nobody really tells me anything, I'm always here with Judy."

"He kidnapped Glenn, Maggie and I, he sent spies, and he will attack us if this plan doesn't go through." I told her and Beth silently nodded.

"Oh."

"But, we don't need to think about that." I said trying not to ruin anything.

"What was it like? Getting kidnapped?"

"Not fun. I was terrified, I had no clue where I was, or what was going to happen to me."

"Do you think the plan will work?"

"Yeah. I do." I said and shrugged,

"But I could be wrong, who knows."

"What happens if they're caught?" Beth asked me.

"We surrender. There's no way three of us can take down a whole town."

"Should we go check on your dad? He's been out there for a bit." I said and she nodded.

"Yeah, Judith should be alright."

We walked out of the prison and opened the big metal doors to the large courtyard, the only light coming from the moon. Growls from walkers and crickets were the only things to be heard, and it wasn't exactly what I'd call peaceful.

Hershel was sitting on a picnic table bench, staring up at the sky. Beth and I sat down opposite of him and he looked down to us.

"Whatcha doing?" Beth asked and Hershel sighed,

"Just, thinking."

"About?"

"Well, a little bit of everything and nothing at once, I suppose."

"What's that mean?" I asked him.

"It's up to you, how you interpret it. Everything is just how you interpret it." Hershel said.

"So like this whole apocalypse, end of the world thing, it's all just about perspective?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Especially the apocalypse." I sighed and ran my hands over my face.

"What's bothering you?" Hershel asked.

"I'm just worried." I whispered, looking up at the bright stars.

"I am too. They'll be alright, they always are. Every one of them is strong."

"Yeah, you're right. We should probably get inside, check on Judith. It's getting pretty cold out here." I said and we all made our way back into the prison. It was equally as cold in here as it was out there, but it felt safer. Probably because I couldn't hear the walkers trying to break into the fence.

"They're here." Beth called from upstairs.

Cars rolling over rocks could be heard and so I went back outside to open the gates for them. Headlights blinded me as I opened the doors.

"Thank you." Rick said as he pulled through the gates. I nodded and waited for all of the cars to come through.

"How'd it go?" I asked Carl once everyone had settled down for the night.

"It went pretty well, I stayed with the cars to make sure none stole them, so I didn't really see a whole lot. What did you do around here?" He pulled me in for a hug.

"We just sat outside really, nothing exciting at all." I smiled.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted." Carl said and I nodded.

"Yeah, well, goodnight." I said and went over to my bed, wanting to sprawl out.

"Goodnight. Don't let the walkers bite."