Chapter 19

Rayne's pov

Daryl headed off into the woods, probably going to hunt. I sighed and looked up at the top of the U-Haul. It was a little chilly outside so I put on my leather jacket. It was a nice leather jacket in all honesty, still nice and shiny. On the back it had my name embroidered in light blue with a cursive font.

I heard a twig snap, so I got up with my knife and slowly walked around the corner, there I saw a walker. But it wasn't just any walker, but my brother, Reese. I couldn't do anything. I was frozen with disbelief. I dropped the blade and fell to my knees. Reese was a sickly shade of grey, his hungry hands reaching for me in between the cars wanting to tear my flesh off of me. His face was still recognizable, and that was the worst part.

Tears were falling down my face and I was a mess. I just can't believe my brother died and became one of them. I don't want to believe this. No, this isn't right, this isn't how things should've gone. He should still be alive, he should be a survivor.

A sob came through and three people noticed, they got out of their U-Haul's and came over, My mom, Carl, and Hershel came over. My mom froze just as I did, and her hands started shaking on my shoulders.

Carl and Hershel had no clue why were acting like this, my mom fell to her knees and sobbed along with me. I looked up again and Reese was still there. Still trying to get to us, never in my entire life have I ever felt so much pain, except for when my dad died in war. He was so different. His hair had fallen out, only tiny pieces stayed. His eyes were a milky white with liquid dripping from them. His teeth were no longer white and straight, they were tainted red and brown, with some missing. He was not the Reese I love and call my brother.

I stood up unsteadily and grabbed my blade in my shaky hand. I walked up to him and held his arms down, I shook my head and whispered,

"I love you." and then I stabbed him right through the temple.

I heard him slump to the ground and I dropped the knife. I sat back down on the ground and cried some more. I heard more people come outside, I looked up and saw Carol, Hershel, Carl, T-Dog, Rick, Lori, and Daryl standing around looking at us.

I stood up with my knife and shoved through everyone. I ran into the woods and climbed a tree. I sat in the tree thinking, why is life so cruel? What did any of us do to deserve this? Why did God let this happen to us? Why? These questions couldn't be answered and I knew that, but I wish they could be. I stared up at the sky, pondering why the universe does this to people. Why it lets people suffer, even when they did nothing to deserve this kind of pain.

I sat there for at least 30 more minutes, until I heard something snap a small branch, it was Carl. He was looking around for me.

"Rayne?" He asked looking up in the trees.

"What?" I asked in a monotone voice.

"Daryl brought back five squirrels. And Hershel is worried about you, come back, please?" I sighed and decided that I should go back. I climbed down the tree and followed Carl back to camp. I slid inbetween the U-Haul's and sat down on the road near my U-Haul.

Daryl and my mom were on the other side of the circle. She was still crying and Daryl was holding on to her. Tears still flowed down my face slowly. Nobody had asked who it was yet. Beth didn't even know either, even though they only met twice, they still got along with each other really well.

Rick and Lori were in their own little world over to the right of me. Hershel was eating some squirrel while Beth was still in her U-Haul. Carol and T-Dog were silently standing around doing nothing. I went back inside my U-Haul and fell asleep since there was nothing I felt like doing.