chapter three

c h a p t e r t h r e e ; stakeout

Elizabeth was forced to stay in Simon's van. Simon was too, but he still followed the group. They were in a cemetery, and Elizabeth had gotten the creeps and chose not to follow them. She was scrolling through her phone after sending a quick text to her mother saying she was going to bed. It was almost eleven at night.

"Simon?" She called out. She saw her best friend walking up beside Isabelle. He seemed somewhat infatuated with the very confident girl. Confidence was attractive to people. It made people stand out, and Elizabeth never stood out.

"Sorry, I-"

"It's okay. I had to text my mom updates," Elizabeth said. "Fake updates, I'm not telling her we're doing a stake out in a cemetery. I'd be in the cemetery before I start senior year."

"Is it okay if I don't trust those two?" Simon questioned.

"You don't need to trust Jace or Alec. But they do their job, they protect you mundanes. They'll protect Clary with their lives," Isabelle interjected. "If I'm not mistaken, Jace saved your lives earlier."

"I didn't even see that happened," Elizabeth commented. "It seems suspicious. Shadowhunters, you guys said. What are shadowhunters?"

"We have angelic powers, we protect mundanes from the downworld."

"Downworld? Let me guess, you're going to say faeries, vampires and werewolves exist?" Simon questioned.

"Ah, Simon, right?" He nodded. "Everything you've ever heard, it's true. You guys walk among everyone. Werewolves, vampires, faeries. Shadowhunters, obviously."

"I must be dreaming," Elizabeth commented. "Simon paid all of you to play a practical joke on us. Haha, Simon you're so funny!"

Elizabeth let out a scream when she heard a noise across the cemetery. Both Simon and Isabelle looked at her to be quiet.

"I'll be right back, stay in the van. Do not get out," Isabelle warned the two mundanes. They both nodded.

"Simon?"

It all happened too fast. First, they were sitting in the van, waiting of Isabelle to return, or Clary, Jace, and Alec to return, but it wasn't them. Second, Simon and Elizabeth were in the air. Elizabeth hated heights and she was above the cemetery. A group of abnormally strong and fast people were holding them.

"We want the girl. Bring us Clary Fairchild, and these two mundanes won't be hurt. You have twenty four hours." Elizabeth didn't get a good look at anybody. The guy has a sort of familiarity to her, but she didn't know why. She couldn't even see what he looked like in the night.

Elizabeth sat in a dungeon. It wasn't exactly a dungeon, but a very dark room with no windows. She didn't know what time it was. Her phone was left in Simon's van. She'd definitely be grounded again, probably until she goes off to college next year.

"Simon?" Elizabeth called out, but no one answered. "Simon! Someone!"

"Will you be quiet?" a guy answered from the other side of the door."

"I will once I'm out of this freaking room!" Elizabeth responded. "Where's Simon?"

"Who?"

"Are you serious? You kidnapped us and you don't know where-"

"Ah! The other mundane. Don't worry about him."

Elizabeth groaned. "Don't tell me what to do! I want to go home! You kidnapped me! You'll go to jail! I'm a minor! And my dad's a cop- well, he's not a- he works with them- but my mom! My mom will- and my brother!"

"They'll need to find you first."

"Let me out!"

"Elliot, what are you doing?" A familiar voice called out. It was the voice from the night.

"She won't shut up, Raphael," The guy, Elliot, stated. "She ruined my nap."

"You're dead, you don't need naps," The guy- Raphael said, annoyed. "She's a human, and she hasn't been fed. She's-"

"A minor! You'll go to jail!" Elizabeth shouted again. "I'm seventeen! Once my parents- ah!" Elizabeth shielded her eyes from the sudden light. The guy stood in the doorway. She quickly stood up.

The lights flickered on in the room. She blinked to get her eyes used to the sudden light. Her eyes stopped on the guy. His eyes stopped on her.

"Rosa?"

Elizabeth stared at him, trying to remember where she knew him from. It took her awhile to realize the name he said was her grandmother's name. She didn't realize he had the same name as her father. "Who are you?"

"I'm sorry. You must be starving," Raphael said. "I had someone make you and your friend breakfast."

"Where's Simon?"

"You shouldn't worry about him, he's being cared for by the best of us," Raphael assured her. He couldn't take his eyes off Elizabeth. Raphael led her to a secluded room. Food was set on the table. It looked like a feast.

"What are you guys?" Elizabeth asked. "I met Shadowhunters. You aren't Shadowhunters because I can see you."

"You're smart," he said drinking out of a coffee mug. Blood fell from his lips. Suddenly, it clicked in Elizabeth's head. She scooted further from him. "Don't worry, it's against our laws to feed from mundanes."

"You're a vampire?" Elizabeth questioned. "Dios mio. No lo puedo creer. I'm going to wake up and see this is all a sueño. Ay no!" Elizabeth frowned after pinching herself.

"Look, we don't want to hurt any mundanes," Raphael explained. "We want Clary, and only Clary. You and the other mundane, just two bumps in the road to what we want."

"What's so special about Clary?" Elizabeth questioned. She wanted to know the answer. Simon was in love with her, everyone loved Clary. Elizabeth was just their little friend who followed them everywhere.

"She's special to someone that we want to- you know, I'm not going to say anything else. Clearly, you don't know anything," Raphael stated. "We want Clary, that's it. And once we get her, you and your little friend are free to go."

"She'd do anything for Simon, why did you even take me?" Elizabeth asked aloud. She didn't mean to, but she did.

"Raphael, they're here," another person walked into the room. "Get ready." Raphael stood up, grabbed Elizabeth by the arm and led her into a room where Simon stood.

"Simon!"

"Liza!"

"Keep an eye on these two. Don't hurt them. We want Clary Fairchild. Only Clary Fairchild," Raphael stated before walking from the room.

"Are you okay?" Simon asked, checking Elizabeth for any signs of cuts or bruises.

"I'm fine, are you okay?" Elizabeth asked. She looked at him, wiping a bit of dried blood from his lips.

"Thanks," Simon responded, before Clary rushed into the room.

"Simon! Elizabeth!" Clary shouted. "We have to go. Now!"

Elizabeth followed behind Clary but in front of Simon as they rushed through the halls of the building.

"You guys okay?" Clary asked as they rushed out of the building. Elizabeth nodded. She was tired, and a bit sore because she slept on the floor all night. "Don't worry, I texted your mom saying that you'd be back around dinner. You were going to spend the day with me and Simon."

Elizabeth responded with a thanks. As they drove away from the building, she glanced back and saw the name, Hotel DuMort. Hotel of Death. She'd remember that.

guys, honestly, this story is my favorite im writing even though its the only one im actively updating.
🤪
I'm actually excited to keep writing this story! And of course, I'll update this next Monday too!

Any thoughts on the story so far?