chapter thirteen

c h a p t e r  t h i r t e e n ; malec

When Elizabeth asked Lennox to be her plus one to Alec's wedding, she agreed. Thankfully for Elizabeth, she didn't have to finish the sentence before Lennox said yes. The two of them loved spending time with each other.

Elizabeth thought of her conversation she had with her brother. He was supportive, which kind of surprised Elizabeth, but anything that came of Manuel's mouth surprised Elizabeth.

"And where are you two going so dressed up like that?" Ester asked her daughter and her friend. Elizabeth was dressed in a short black dress, Lennox was wearing a red dress with a delicate pattern all over. [pictured above]

"Oh, we thought it would be fun to dress up and go eat at a fast food restaurant like McDonalds," Elizabeth quickly lied.

"Aw, that sounds like fun," her mother stated. "Take pictures, please. I'd love to see them."

"Of course, ma. We'll be back before midnight," Elizabeth hugged her mother, then followed Lennox out of her apartment.

"I don't understand how it's easy for you to lie to your parents," Lennox said as they walked outside in the fresh air. "If I lied to my grandma, she'd—"

"It's not lying, it's withholding the truth," Elizabeth interrupted. "It's been complicated since everything with Clary started. If they knew half the stuff that has happened, I would be stuck at home all the time with my brother. It's safer for them not to know."

Lennox nodded in agreement. "So, we're going to that shadowhunter's wedding? How do you know him again?"

"He's like an older brother who I can actually talk to about all this stuff. Everything was too much, and some things I couldn't tell Raphael because he wouldn't want to help them anymore— which he doesn't now because they ruined that," Elizabeth rambled. "Alec seems like an ass, but he's actually really nice and good to talk to."

"It seems like you have a crush on a certain tall Shadowhunter," Lennox joked.

Elizabeth shook her head. "I don't. He's getting married, and he's like a few years older than me. I like someone closer to my age."

"Oh, so you do like someone?" Lennox smirked. "Please don't tell me it's Derek. You could do so much better than that, Liza."

"Oh, god no," Elizabeth stated. "He's definitely not my type. Plus, any girl besides Tessa, he blows off once she shows interest again. It's a cycle."

Lennox groaned. "Tell me about it! He tried to ask me out in our sophomore year, it was the worst thing ever. I think that's when I realized I was into more than just boys. Do you know where we're even going?" Elizabeth nodded as they walked down the stairs towards the subway.

"What are you doing here?" Isabelle Lightwood stopped the two teenagers. Her black hair fell down her back, she was wearing a darker gold dress that complimented her skin tone. "Oh my god— you're not—"

"Alec invited me," Elizabeth interrupted.

"Of course, he did," Isabelle commented. She gave the two girls a smile, before leading them to their seats. "Wait, has Alec mentioned anything to you? I know the two of you have gotten to become friends."

"Mention, like what?" Elizabeth asked.

Isabelle paused. "He'd kill me if I said anything—"

"You could handle yourself," Elizabeth commented. "Nothing less than seven inches?"

Isabelle blushed, but looked away, trying to hide it. Lennox laughed quietly. Isabelle looked back at Elizabeth. "He's never mentioned anyone by the name of Magnus Bane to you?"