chapter fourteen

c h a p t e r  f o u r t e e n ; the aftermath

Elizabeth was amazed and proud. She had never met Magnus Bane or even heard of him before. But he had walked into the room as if he owned it, and even Elizabeth could feel the tension between him and Alec. And she wanted to scream  and cheer when Alec left his fiancée at the altar. Elizabeth had never met his fiancée, she didn't even know Alec had a fiancée, but she seemed nice. Nice enough not to storm off when Alec decided to kiss Magnus in front of everybody.

Of course, Elizabeth knew the woman who stormed off was Alec and Isabelle's mother. She looked like an older version of Isabelle, who seemed to warm up to Elizabeth after the wedding, mentioning that she was grateful for Elizabeth to make Alec realize his real feelings for Magnus.

"I think that was the best wedding I've been to," Simon told Elizabeth and Lennox. "I have never seen someone walk off to be with the person they actually love!"

"I don't know much about them, but his mom did not look happy," Lennox added.

"I don't think any mom would be happy after a wedding is stopped," Elizabeth stated. "But if Alec's happy with what happened, I'm happy. I hope he's happy."

"Simon, wait!" Clary called out. Elizabeth, Simon and Lennox were almost at the door of the institute.

"What's going on?" Simon asked.

"We should probably go," Elizabeth told Lennox. Simon grabbed Elizabeth's arm, telling her to wait.

"I want to make sure you guys get home safe, don't go," Simon said, and Elizabeth nodded.

"We need your help," Jace added.

"Now you need his help?" Elizabeth spoke up. "Until now, all we've been to you is Clary's little friends."

"The Book of the White," Clary said, trying to stop Elizabeth. Lennox noticed Elizabeth's demeanor changed and grabbed her hand, to calm her down. "It contains the spell that can wake my mom, but she hid it so Valentine can never find it."

"We have a lead," Jace added. Clary showed the trio a bookmark.

"The Bookmark of the White?" Simon questioned.

Clary smiled, "It's a piece of the book itself. Magnus tracked its owner to the Hotel DuMort but— it belongs to Camille."

"You're asking Simon for a lot here," Elizabeth interrupted. "Simon might be okay with everything that's happened— with you pushing us away, but—"

"We're asking Simon, not you," Jace interrupted.

"I can set a meeting with Raphael," Simon stated.

Elizabeth laughed. "Really, Si? You're going to help them—?" Simon grabbed Elizabeth's arm and pulled her away. "I'm not forgiving Clary for anything, I was supposed to be her best friend, too."

"I'm not doing this for Clary, I'm doing this for Jocelyn," Simon responded, and Elizabeth sighed. "She's always been like a second mother to me, and if anyone understands the Shadow world, it's her."

"Well, Raphael won't want to talk to them," Elizabeth said. "He has a strong distaste for them. And he's not very keen on you, either."