chapter seventeen

c h a p t e r  s e v e n t e e n ; abuela

If Elizabeth had taken her phone, she would've been better— but she's fine. Living in New York, she knew her way around her neighborhood and the way to certain places. She knew where Simon and Clary lived— and Maureen, but she was sure Simon wasn't home, and Clary was probably at the Institute and Elizabeth hadn't talked to Maureen since Clary's birthday, she was more Simon's friend. She also knew the way to Hotel DuMort— but she didn't want to see Raphael, at least not now. She didn't want to be anywhere near the shadow world.

Elizabeth walked with no destination on her mind. She didn't care where she'd end up at, just some place where she'd be able to be carefree.

"Good evening, your father didn't tell us anyone was visiting tonight," the receptionist told Elizabeth. She had finally found her destination, her grandma's nursing home.

"Oh, I just wanted to spend time with my abuelita without my dad," Elizabeth said. "Some girl time, is she awake?"

"It's dinnertime, so she should be in her room right now. You know where it's at," the receptionist said. "Don't forget your visitors pass." Elizabeth grabbed the lanyard that said VISITOR in bright red letters.

Elizabeth knew her way around the nursing home— she'd come and visit every day the first year Abuela Rosa moved in. Elizabeth was twelve then. When Elizabeth turned thirteen, she celebrated her birthday with her grandma at the nursing home, and then her memories started to blur and she didn't recognize Elizabeth or Manuel the next few times they visited. Then Elizabeth stopped visiting regularly, only on important days.

She reached her abuela's room, and stood in the doorway watching her grandma on the chair as she was eating a salisbury steak— which was her favorite.

"Look, Miss Rosa, you have a visitor," the nurse told Abuela Rosa. She turned and looked at Elizabeth. Elizabeth kept a smile on her face when Rosa looked confused.

"Hola abuela," Elizabeth smiled. "Soy yo, Elizabeth." Hi, grandma. It's me, Elizabeth.

"Mi nieta hermosa," Abuela Rosa responded. My beautiful granddaughter. "¿Qué te pasa, bonita?" What's wrong, beautiful?

"Nada. Quería venir a visitarte. ¿Puedo?" Nothing, I wanted to visit you. Can I?

"¡Claro que si! Sientate a mi lado." Abuela Rosa said and looked at the chair beside her. Of course. Sit beside me. Elizabeth walked across the room and sat in the chair. Abuela Rose reached for her hand, and Elizabeth grabbed it. "What's wrong, mija? No mientas." Don't lie.

"I just wanted to come visit. I know I haven't visited much lately— not like how my dad visits everyday at lunch. I wanted you to know that I still love you, even if I don't visit as much," Elizabeth said.

"Mija, te quiero mucho." I love you so much. "Your mother named you after me, Elizabeth Rose. We're always going to be connected."

"Of course, abuela."

"You're such a beautiful young lady, and your parents should be proud of you for being you. You remind me of myself when I was younger, just be careful when you meet your future husband. He'll be the only person you'll think about even after he passes away."