chapter nine

c h a p t e r n i n e ; new friends

Elizabeth took a deep breath as she knocked on the Lewis's door. It took a minute before someone opened the door. When the door finally opened, Elaine Lewis smiled at the young girl.

"Elizabeth! It's been forever. Come in! How are you? How are your parents?" Elaine asked as Elizabeth walked through the threshold.

"I'm good. They're good. I'm sorry I haven't been around, I've been busy with school. Is Simon around?" Elizabeth asked, as she set her shoes on the shoe rack.

"He's been home for days. Maybe you can convince him to get out of his bedroom for once," Elaine pleaded. "He hasn't been himself lately, I don't know why." Elizabeth frowned. "If you need anything, I'll be in here."

"Thank you, Mrs Lewis- Elaine," Elizabeth corrected herself before walking down the hallway reaching Simon's bedroom door. She knocked on it. No answer. "Simon?" She called out, before opening the door slightly.

When she stepped into the room it reeked. Elizabeth couldn't describe the smell but old, whether is was old clothes, old food, or old stuff, she didn't know. It was also very dark in his bedroom.

"What are you doing here?" Simon called out. Elizabeth smiled at the sound of his voice. "I told my mom I didn't want to see anyone."

"I'm appalled, Si. I didn't think I was just anyone," Elizabeth joked. Then sighed, it wasn't time for jokes. "How are you?"

"Good, other than being undead. And having a blood only diet," Simon responded. "How would you feel?"

"Your mom said you haven't left your room in days," Elizabeth commented. "Maybe we can do something tonight? I saw something online for this talent show at one of those coffee shops that are meant for influencers, you know the ones with the pretty lattes and cappuccinos."

"I can't leave my room-"

"But you can! It's at night and-"

"You don't understand, Liza!" Simon shouted. Elizabeth's breath hitched when Simon was close to her. He was standing face to face. He towered over her, and normally she wouldn't be scared. But he never yelled at her. "I'm a monster! I-" Simon closed his mouth, then opened it. Elizabeth saw his teeth. "I think you need to go."

"No, I'm not leaving," Elizabeth stated. "I'm not leaving you."

"You need to go, because all I can think about right now is your blood," Simon said. "And I- I can't control myself. I stay in here, because if I go out there, I won't forgive myself if I feed on anyone."

"Raphael can help you!" Elizabeth exclaimed. "He offered to help you, and you refused. If you're a monster like you say you are, you're putting your mother and Rebecca in danger. Raphael can help you, Si."

"And what's so great about Raphael?" Simon snapped. "Don't lie, I know you had him watch over me while I was at Hotel DuMort. You came by and spoke to him and-"

"He's trying to help you!" Elizabeth interrupted. "Simon, don't be too proud to accept help. You're a new vampire," she whispered the word. "He's been a vampire for almost a century, he knows how to survive and you can learn from him! It's not that-"

"I didn't want to become a vampire, Elizabeth. But here we are."

Elizabeth blinked, she took a deep breath. Simon had always called her Liza, no matter what happened. He never called her by her full name. Her bottom lip quivered as she blinked her eyes stopping the tears that formed. "I'm sorry," she blurted. "I- I'll just go."

Elizabeth didn't say goodbye to Elaine Lewis, and she was upset she forgot to. Her parents taught her to greet everyone in the room, and if she had to leave, say goodbye to everyone before leaving. But she walked away from Simon's house wiping tears from her eyes.

To Elizabeth it felt like everything was changing. Her two friends were part of a different and magical world. Clary was a shadowhunter because her parents were shadowhunters. Simon was a vampire, because Clary and Elizabeth made the decision of turning him. Elizabeth was a mundane who was still in high school.

She wanted to call or text Clary, but the redhead was busy saving the world from her evil father, or that's what Alec had said the other night. Alec.

Elizabeth must have been crazy or something, but instead of going to meet up with some friends from school, she walked to the Institute.

"Clary's not here, mundane," Alec said as he saw Elizabeth walk up.

"I didn't come to see Clary," Elizabeth said. To her, Alec reminded her of her brother, Manuel.

"The vampire isn't here either," he added.

"I'm here to see you," Elizabeth stated, looking at Alec.

"Me?"

"You," Elizabeth repeated. "Look, my two friends are in your world now, and I feel like I could help and do something but I can't because I'm a muggle or whatever you and your friends call me. And I just feel helpless," she rambled.

"Oh. . . kay," Alec responded. "I'm not really good with emotions-"

Elizabeth laughed in response. "Dios mio. I'm sorry. You're practically a stranger, and I know you don't like Clary or Simon. But I can't exactly go and tell Raphael how I feel and about the fight I had with Simon because I think Raphael-"

"You had a fight with the vampire?" Alec interrupted.

"I asked Raphael to watch over Simon and basically help him with becoming a vampire. Si got mad because he didn't want to become a vampire and I feel like it's my fault he even became one," Elizabeth stated.

"If you guys were telling the truth that night, it was Camille's fault. She's the one that fed him the blood, and he's the one that drank it. It wasn't your fault," Alec assured the teenager.

"It is my fault," Elizabeth said. "I was the one locked in a room by myself while Simon was with Camille. Raphael basically chose Simon to become a vampire instead of me."

"Raphael chose Simon to- what?"

"No! It's complicated. Raphael didn't want either of us to become vampires. It was more, he was watching over me rather than making sure Camille wasn't feeding anyone her blood. He chose to make sure nothing happened to me," Elizabeth explained. "That night, it was- they took Simon and I into different rooms. We were next to each other, but I ended up falling asleep for awhile. I'm not sure- and I didn't know when he was taken to Camille."

"It's not your fault that your friend became a vampire," Alec said. "It's not anyone's fault that the both of you were made aware of this world."

"Thanks," Elizabeth responded, smiling. "Thanks for letting me rant, since that night I haven't had anyone to talk to about this. Clary's busy with her evil dad, Simon pushed everyone away, my family doesn't even know I was kidnapped, and Raph- thank you, Alec."

Alec smiled at the teenager. "Look, I'm sorry you know about this world. You- if you need to talk to anyone, I'll try to be here for you."

Alec has always been
one of my favorite characters
in the book and tv show!
Which is probably why I'm
Going to make a really good
friendship between elizabeth and him

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!