chapter six

c h a p t e r s i x ; fledgling

"Where are we going-?" Raphael kept walking, not telling Elizabeth anything. She didn't know the time, but she told her parents that she was meeting some other friends for dinner before they went into their senior year and she wouldn't back until late. She lied.

The church she believed to be abandoned, which wasn't actually abandoned came into her view. It's where she and Simon had found Clary the other day. With Shadowhunters.

As they walked closer, Elizabeth saw the three Shadowhunters from the other day turning a corner with weapons in their hands. Two with swords and the tall brooding one with a bow and arrow. Clary was behind them with her own sword.

"Don't move. Put your hands up," the blonde one- Jace demanded. Elizabeth moved from behind Raphael and saw Clary's face when she realized it was Simon that Raphael was holding. "Why do you have the mundane?" Jace asked.

"Both mundanes," Alec added, finally putting attention on the younger girl. Clary finally saw her friend, with visible confusion on her face. Elizabeth gave her a small smile.

"As much as I would like to tell you, I don't think it's safe enough to talk outside," Raphael responded. They agreed reluctantly and led Elizabeth and Raphael to a morgue-like room.

Raphael laid Simon on an empty table. Alec left the room to make sure no one would come down. Elizabeth stayed beside Simon.

"I may be a vampire, but I was raised a good Catholic," Raphael stated. Elizabeth glanced up, seeing Raphael do the sign of the cross.

"The vampires breeched the Accords. This is grounds for war," Isabelle said. The shadowhunters and Clary were clearly upset with Raphael and the vampires.

"The vampires didn't do anything. It was just Camille. She acted alone," Raphael explained.

"How do we know you're not lying?" Jace spoke up.

"I could've gotten rid of him," Raphael said, avoiding Elizabeth's gaze. "I brought him here, didn't I?"

"Why was she with you?" Isabelle asked, motioning to Elizabeth. Elizabeth wanted to speak up, but Raphael beat her to it.

"That has nothing to do with you. I don't want trouble with the Shadowhunters," Raphael said.

"Smart decision."

"Look, I warned the mundane to stay away, but Camille gave him a taste of her own blood. Like an addict, he came back for more and more," Raphael explained.

"The only reason why he tasted her blood was because of you!" Clary shouted. "You kidnapped him and gave him to Camille!"

"I didn't mean for this to happen!" Raphael shouted, Jace placed his hand on her sword.

"You don't know what happened at Hotel DuMort," Elizabeth spoke up. "You guys were just the heroes."

"So the little girl speaks now," Jace commented.

Elizabeth whipped her head towards Jace, "I am not a little-"

"There's a way to bring him back," Raphael interrupted. Elizabeth brought her attention back to Raphael. Everyone had brought their attention back to Raphael. "He's a fledgling. It's a stage of transition. He can be brought back."

"No," Jace answered for everyone.

"What?" Clary asked, ignoring Jace. "I- we can have Simon back?" She looked at Elizabeth to back her up, Elizabeth nodded. The two look at Raphael who nodded slightly. "Alive and breathing?"