~ Chapter 13 ~

{{ FLASHBACK }} ( Oli’s POV ) {{ 3 Months later }}

It’s currently 5:00 am and I’m sitting in Amelia’s bed thinking. I guess not really about much.

- Three months have passed since I recorded the song for Amelia’s seventeenth birthday, which is in around a month’s time.

- Amelia’s dad has been gone way more than usual so I’m usually always here.

- I’m graduating from school in like three or four months even though lately I’m bunking more often than usual.

- I barely ever go home as Amelia still tries to get me to stay at hers even when her dads home but frankly that’s dangerous for both of us.

- However whenever I go home Dad hasn’t been there.

- I keep thinking over and over again how maybe he might be dead and well he doesn’t really know anyone so its not like he’s been reported missing and I really doubt they would care if they saw his dead corpse on the street and honestly this doesn’t sadden me, not one part of my body feeling any kind of sympathy for him.

- I’ve got that English project me and Amelia had to do due in some point this week and somehow we have managed to get it finished.

- I’m completely running out of money and I cant let Amelia buy things for me, that something I wont let her do.

- And that is what has been running through my mind at a hundred miles per hour for the last forty minutes.

I go through this again and again and again until I hear a loud, defining slam coming from downstairs. I jump out of my skin at the noise and look down to see a wide-awake Amelia, looking slightly terrified.

“What was that?” her still sleepy voice whispers in horror. I turn to face her as we hear footsteps walk slowly up the stairs. I grab the nearest object, which happens to be just a remote, and stand up. The footsteps become increasingly louder until I hear Amelia’s Dad scream at the top of his lungs, “AMELIA!” I quickly turn to see Amelia motion for me to leave, pointing to the window. I grab my top from on the floor before rushing over to the window.

I hear as the footsteps grow louder and louder as I fiddle with the lock on the window, using all of my strength to try and pull it open but it won’t move. No matter how hard I try it wont move and before I know it I see the door nob begin to slowly open. I turn my head as fast as possible and run straight to under the bed. I try to steady my breathing, not knowing why Amelia’s Dad is so angry, as I listen to his voice begin to shout and slur, “WHOSE SHOES ARE DOWN THERE, IN THE HALLWAY?”

I listen as he begins to breathe much steadier and then saying, “what boy is in this house?”

“What do you mean?” she whispers clearly trying to stay calm but kind of failing. My hands stay in front of me; I guess getting ready to get out from under the bed if she gets put in danger. I try to reassure myself that he wouldn’t hurt her, he isn’t my dad however, my hands still sit in the same position.

I listen as his feet walk around the room in endless circles every now and then repeating, “is there a boy in this house,” in which Amelia would just reply, “there isn’t.” This continued until I heard him begin to open doors, from the wardrobe and the en suite, continuously before everything turns silent.

“Oli,” I hear Amelia’s voice whisper. I push myself out from under the bed to be greeted by her slightly shocked face. I begin to walk slowly towards her and open my arms but she pushes me away before saying, “you should go.” I watch as she sits down on her bed, starring blankly at the wall, as I get dressed and grab my bag, stuffing the rest of the clothes inside, and slipping on another pair of shoes. I walk over to Amelia and peck her on the cheek before walking over to the window. I open the window, annoyingly straight away, before jumping over to a near by tree and climbing down it.

Pulling out my phone and earphones I walk over to the same small park I always go to, replaying all of the moments from earlier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ {ONE MONTH LATER ON THE EVENING OF AMELIA’S 17TH BIRTHDAY PARTY}}

( Amelia’s POV )

“I LOVE YOU,” I shout over the deafeningly loud music that is playing in Alix’s front lounge. I still can’t believe that they had all done this for me, made this massive party just for me. Before I know it the music suddenly stops and I see Alix, Jordan, Sam and Oli holding a large cake and singing ‘Happy Birthday.’ They continue to sing the lyrics before I squeeze my eyes shut and blow out the candles. I open them again to see four smiling faces all clapping.

Me and Oli continue to dance for what seemed like hours until before I knew it we were both stumbling into my house. We continue to laugh uncontrollably, Oli holding me close to his chest, before delicately placing me onto the sofa. I watch as a cheeky smile sneaks onto his face and mouths the words ‘wait here’. His smile begins to grow, covering his entire face before leaning down towards me. We both close our eyes until I feel his grip loosen unexpectedly. I open my eyes to see an older man holding Oli by the neck.

Wait.

WAIT!

Is that…

Oh no!

I don’t recall what happens next as everything happened so fast and now I’m here, lying on the floor, my vision blurry as I watch Oli lay on the floor, his father standing in front of him. He begins to speak but I can’t hear anything, my head thumping. I begin to close my eyes until I hear a loud bang scream through my ears, my eyes shooting open…