1 | the cullens

Bella Swan would never forget the day she first saw the Cullens

Bella Swan would never forget the day she first saw the Cullens. She had already been barely paying attention to the trivial gossip that Jessica Stanley and Angela Webber were discussing, but as soon as she caught a glimpse of the most astounding people she'd seen in her life, all her focus was on them. Her eyes stayed glued to them through the window, watching as they entered the cafeteria.

"Who are they?" Bella asked. She hadn't really meant to ask, but curiosity got the best of her as they gracefully moved towards a table on the other side of the room.

It only took a second for the other two girls to know what she was talking about. Jessica and Angela shared a mischievous smile, holding in their giggles as they too watched the family pass.

"The Cullens," Angela said quietly, hoping to not be overheard.

Jessica leaned in, practically foaming at the mouth to spill all the details about them to Bella. "Doctor and Mrs. Cullen's foster kids. They all moved down here from Alaska, like, a few years ago."

"They kinda keep to themselves," Angela added softly.

"Because they're all together. Like, together together," Jessica told her with wide eyes. That certainly wasn't something Bella was expecting to hear. Jessica's eyes zeroed in on the first pair walking ahead of the others. "The blonde girl, that's Rosalie, and the big dark-haired guy, Emmett—"

Bella knew at that moment that Rosalie was the most beautiful girl she'd ever seen, and likely ever would see. Even just being in the room with the girl who could easily pass as a model made her self-conscious, and she ran a hand through her hair to make it look nicer.

The boy, Emmett, was huge just as Jessica said. Bella found herself wondering if he really was a high schooler as he could have fooled her into thinking he was a linebacker for a professional football team. The other high school boys looked like sticks compared to him. But despite his intimidating size, there was an almost playful glint in his eyes as he walked alongside Rosalie. 

"—They're a thing," Jessica continued, casting a judgmental gaze on the pair. "I'm not even sure that's legal."

Angela scoffed quietly and shook her head. "Jess, they're not actually related."

Jessica simply shrugged, knowing she wasn't going to be changing her opinion suddenly. "Yeah, but they live together. It's weird." Next, she informed Bella about the next two to pass, heading to the same table as Rosalie and Emmett, making sure to keep her voice low. "Okay, and the little dark-haired girl, Alice, she's really weird. She's with Jasper, the blonde one who looks like he's in pain."

Bella supposed that Jessica was right. Jasper did look as if he was in pain and he kept a tight grip on Alice's hand, who practically danced and twirled to their lunch table. It seemed that she calmed Jasper down a little bit from whatever was bothering him.