9 | kiss goodnight

"Will you stop squirming?"

"Will you stop trying to pull my hair out?" Valeria shot back. "And why can't I wear my hair up? You love braiding my hair."

It was the night of Forks High's Senior Prom, and Rosalie had offered to help Valeria get ready — Alice was pouting in the corner due to the no touching Valeria rule. She was also pouting about the dress that was "far too plain" in her expert opinion.

"Because you wear your hair up in a braid or a ponytail every day," Alice spoke up, supporting Rosalie. "Let her style it down and show off that pretty face just once."

Valeria grumbled to herself, knowing that the hair would fly in her face as she danced, but eventually gave in. Rosalie did at least pull the sides back with some simple hair pins with pearls on the end.

"Now the glitter eyeshadow!" Alice suggested.

"Not the glitter eyeshadow!" Valeria shot back, never a fan of sparkly makeup.

"How about an eyeshadow with a light shimmer?" Rosalie suggested. "It's called a compromise, though I don't think the two of you have ever heard of it when it comes to each other."

After a moment, Valeria nodded. She could handle a little bit of shimmer. She made sure to stay still as Rosalie dusted makeup on her face. It felt weird, as Valeria really only ever wore tinted chapsticks and blush — mainly to make her look a little more alive.

After a while, she finally finished. Really, Rosalie hadn't been working for more than thirty minutes at a regular human pace, but it felt like forever to Valeria. But Alice and Rosalie didn't want her to look at herself until she was finally dressed.

Alice brought the prom dress that Leah picked out and handed it to Valeria. "I certainly wouldn't pick it or wear it out but I don't hate the dress. I request to add one little accessory."

As Valeria slipped off her robe and changed into the dress, she eyed Alice carefully. Rosalie zipped up the back while Alice rushed over to her closet. She came back with a thin strip of fabric.

"Tie this around your waist. It'll show off you figure and offset all the white," Alice stated. "Plus it matches your lipstick."

Her eyes went wide as she took in the deep red color. "You put that color on my face? I'll look ridiculous. Like a clown!"

Rosalie sighed at her dramatics before snatching the fabric and tying it around Valeria's waist. "We wouldn't let you leave this house looking like a clown. Em and Jasper might, but not us."

"Yeah, but no one is used to seeing me in makeup. They'll look at me funny," she said, nervously fidgeting. Alice lightly swatted her hands with a lipstick tube even though she knew it wouldn't break the human habit.

Valeria was also a little nervous of how she looked because of who she was going with. No, she didn't mind what Seth thought of her, but she did care about how Sam saw her. And she knew that the wolves shared a mind link when shifted. What if Sam saw her through Seth's eyes and thought she looked ridiculous?