5 | confused

Bella was nervous as she and Jacob pulled up to Sam's house on the bike

Bella was nervous as she and Jacob pulled up to Sam's house on the bike. She had been confident about skipping school and heading to La Push to get some answers, but she feared the pack would hate her now that the Cullens were back.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Bella asked as they got off Jacob's bike. "I'm the 'vampire girl', remember?"

However, a second later, the front door burst open and a horde of shirtless boys piled out, shoving food in their mouths as they scrambled to meet Bella with smiles on their faces.

"Look who's back!" Embry said, beaming.

"What up, Bella?" Quil asked.

She looked at the boy in shock. Just as Embry and Jacob had, Quil had filled out and cut his hair short and joined the pack of shifters. "Quil, you too?"

"Yep," he said proudly. "Finally made the pack."

"I'm glad you're here, Bella," Embry told her, smirking. "Maybe we can get a break from Jake's obsessive inner monologue."

Paul laughed and shoved Jacob to the side. "I wish Bella would call," he mocked

"I wish Bella wouldn't call," Jared joined in.

"Maybe I should call Bella," Embry added.

"Maybe I should call Bella and hang up," Quil finished as they all cackled.

Jacob awkwardly avoided Bella's gaze, ready to punch all of his brothers in the face. "Alright, you can shut up now."

Bella smiled as the boys pushed each other around, Jared spitting bits of chicken everywhere as he laughed. Then a tall, pretty girl with cropped hair walked up with a scowl on her face. And the scowl deepened when she saw Bella.

The laugher died down, and Jacob cleared his throat. "Bella, this is Leah Clearwater. Harry's daughter."

Immediately, Bella offered her a sympathetic smile. "Hey. I'm really sorry about your father."

"If you're here to torture Jacob some more, feel free to leave," Leah snapped, narrowing her eyes at her. Bella was taken aback by her response but didn't defend herself.

"Fun, isn't she," Jacob muttered, not even caring that Leah could hear.

"Leah, be nice when there's a guest over." Bella looked to the door to see Sue Clearwater exiting the house. Sam Uley followed not too far behind. The smile on Sue's face contrasted her daughter's scowl greatly. "Bella, it's wonderful to see you."

"Same here," Bella said as the older woman hugged her. She only had a few memories of Sue Clearwater from growing up, but given that both her children were now shifters, she'd probably be seeing more of the woman.

Sam nodded politely to Bella as a greeting, who returned it. Then Jacob caught his eye. "Sam, we're good?"

"We're good," he confirmed, speaking about Victoria. "She won't be getting through our line anytime soon."