25 | i'm sorry

The last time Valeria had seen Raphael Alvarez, he was slamming his bedroom door in her face and telling her to 'fuck off' after she'd asked for a ride to her friend Allison's house

The last time Valeria had seen Raphael Alvarez, he was slamming his bedroom door in her face and telling her to 'fuck off' after she'd asked for a ride to her friend Allison's house. An hour later, Emmett was stumbling across her dying body in an alleyway that she'd taken as a shortcut.

And though the young boy didn't like his sister very much, he knew her death was his fault. If only he'd given her a ride to her stupid friend's house. But no, she was gone, and so was the weird fucking Cullen family that he'd hated since the moment they moved to school, thinking they were too good for everyone.

After graduation, Raphael couldn't stand to be at home, not with his parents who were still mourning the loss of his twin. He couldn't exist in that house that was just a constant reminder of Valeria, and so he left and returned home to San Juan.

That had been a mistake in more ways than one. If he thought being with his parents reminded him of his sister, then going to the place they'd grown up together was a million times worse. Every day, he'd have to walk the streets, remembering how they used to play with their dogs and run from their father after pulling tricks on him. And it certainly didn't help that there was a vampire going on a rampage and turning people needlessly at every corner.

The Volturi had to step in, killing all the newborns that were running amuck in the city. Though the blonde king that'd come to end them was surprised when he found Raphael, who fought back valiantly against the warrior. So, Caius kept him alive and brought him to Italy. It was Aro who discovered his ability to amplify other vampires' gifts through physical touch, and it was Marcus who could see the bonds connecting him to his sister, which is how he learned Valeria was alive.

And now here he stood, across the clearing from his twin who didn't look at day over eighteen, preserved exactly as she'd been before she died and disappeared. Except for the eerie golden eyes that made Raphael frown — he'd at least gotten used to his own red ones and thought they were normal now.

"Raph?" Valeria whispered again, blinking repeatedly as if she was expecting her brother to disappear. "Wh - what are you? How?"

"What?" he asked with a smirk. "You can't be the only vampire in the family? You're not that special, Ria."

"Come on," Edward said, leading Valeria back to Bella and Renesmee's side. "He's part of the guard now, Val. Nothing can be done."

Valeria looked at him with hurt in her eyes. "You knew." It wasn't a question. He'd obviously seen Raphael in Jane's mind back when they were facing the newborn army.

"I did," he said somberly. "I thought it best you didn't know."

"You don't decide what's best for me!" she hissed before stepping to the side, not wanting to be next to Edward. All she could do was look at Raphael's menacing figure across the clearing.

Even still as the wolf packs emerged from the woods, Valeria couldn't look away from her brother. Not even when her mate's imposing form moved beside her, his fur brushing her side. And their arrival at least made the other vampires hesitate, not expecting the giant wolves to be there. Caius looked ready to crawl out of his skin.