7 | master of love

"Who have you been texting this whole time?"

Valeria quickly looked up from her phone to look at Angela. "I haven't been texting the whole time."

"Any time there's more than a five-second break, you're on your phone," Angela pointed out, smirking. "Even Jess has noticed. She's probably more concerned with finding out what — or who — has you so smiley and less concerned with winning the game."

"Well, they're gonna win, no doubt about it. It's the last game, they only need three points, and Jess is the one serving after the time out."

The Forks Volleyball team had made it all the way to the state championships in Spokane, and to show their support, Valeria, Angela, Mike, Eric, and Tyler had driven up to watch the final games of the tournament. They were playing a school from Pasco who was very good, but they didn't have Jessica Stanley on their team.

The captain was doing a fantastic job, and even when they lost the second match in the game, it was only by two points. Forks made up for it in the third match, which they certainly would win, as Jessica had the best serve on the team.

Valeria was having a great time at the game. Angela had painted Jessica's number on Valeria's cheek, and much to their embarrassment, Mike's entire face was covered in navy and yellow. Angela went for a more subtle approach, simply holding up a sign with Eric's assistance that said "Go, Jess! We love you!"

Angela had been right in her observations. When she wasn't cheering, Valeria was constantly checking her phone. And often, she'd open a new message with a smile on her face before quickly replying.

"You don't smile like that when your family texts you," she continued.

"I bet it's a boooy," Mike teased, dragging out the word.

"It is not a boooy," Valeria said back, glad she couldn't blush.

It was a boy, actually. It was the boy, Sam Uley. Valeria was very glad that Paul had practically forced Sam and her to exchange numbers. She had used it for much more than telling him when the cinnamon rolls were finished cooking.

Of course, they didn't text all of the time as Sam was busy running the pack and patrolling while searching for Victoria. And Valeria still had school and plenty of hobbies that left her forgetting to check her phone.

But after hearing she was leaving town and going to Spokane, Sam wanted to check in and make sure she was safe. Really, he knew there wasn't much that could harm the nearly indestructible vampire, and she wasn't even a full eight hours away from Forks by car — he could run there much faster if she was in actual danger.

The texting didn't stop after Sam initially checked in and told Valeria to let him know that she was safe. They kept talking, whether it was Valeria telling him something exciting about the game, or Sam informing her that Embry and Quil had done something stupid.