1.

I skimmed through the pages of my textbook that described the symbols of the Alethiometer. There was an hourglass, a sword, a tree, a dolphin and many more. I couldn't wait to finally understand them all.
The door burst open.
"Y/N!" Lyra whispered while running over to my desk. I closed my textbook on the page of the snake symbol. I smiled at her. "What's up?"
"The Master gave me something. Well, it's what you're studying, and he told me not to tell anyone. I couldn't not tell you, though. He gave me an Alethiometer." She opened it and the sight was beautiful.
"He gave you one?" I asked, already knowing the answer. I mean, it was right in front of me. I didn't know why I was asking again.
"Yeah. But, I don't know how to use it, so I thought I might ask you." I intensely stared at it, admiring its features. The symbols look exactly like they do in the book. The gold hand was placed on the thunderbolt symbol. The symbol that represents chance and/or inspiration.
"This-this is amazing. I'm speechless." I took it from Lyra and placed it in front of me on my desk. "What does he expect you to do with it? Did he give you any study books?"
"No, he didn't, and I can't read it. It's useless if I can't read it." Lyra sighed.
"Well, if the Master gave it to you, then he must think you can do something with it. He wouldn't give you a powerful object like this for no reason at all."

The next day, Lyra takes me into the Retiring Room at Jordan College.
"Lyra, you know we're not supposed to be in here! We could get caught and we'll all be in big trouble." I looked at my daemon, Magnus, who was sitting on my shoulder.
"I know! I just want to explore! Come on." She pulled me more into the room by my hand.
Then, I heard muffled footsteps.
"Lyra! Hide!" I jumped inside a small box and Lyra hid under a table as her daemon, Pan turned into a moth. There were holes in the box, which was convenient. I wanted to see what was happening.
The Master walked in with a small paper packet. It looked like one of those sugar packets you would put in a cup of tea. He walked over to a decanter on the table and broke open the package of powder. As he poured it in, I realized something. Lyra looked at me and I looked at her. That's not sugar.
Then he walked out. I slowly opened the lid of the box to find someone else opening the door.
Lord Asriel.
I closed the box and peered through the holes of my hiding place. He walked over to the decanter and started to pour a glass of the drink.
"Wait!" Lyra jumped out from under the table. "Don't drink that! She knocked the glass out of his hand, but Asriel pinned her to the table.
"What the hell are you doing here?" He shouted.
"Let go of me and I'll tell you!" He did as she said and let her go. She stepped back. "The Master tried to poison you! I saw it!"
"What are you talking about?"
"I saw him! He had a packet of something and poured it in the wine! Uncle, please believe me!"
Then I came out of the cramped box. "My Lord, please believe her. I saw it for myself as well." I closed the box behind me and walked towards him. I leaned on the table.
"What are you doing here too?"
"I came in here with Lyra, and do not even think about asking why we are here in the first place. Well, don't ask me anyway. Ask Lyra. She brought me in here in the first place." I said.
"Hey! Don't blame me!" Lyra answered.
"Just- be quiet!" Asriel exclaimed and we both shut our mouths. "What I'm wondering is why the Master would want to poison me."
"He's never liked you. Maybe he wants something from you. Are you hiding anything from him?" I asked.
"I'm not hiding anything! I gave him his Alethiometer. He should be happy about that. Now, you two need to get out of here. I have a meeting with the staff about something very important that neither of you can know about."
"Why can't we stay?" Lyra asked, with Pan in the form of a ferret now, running up her arm and sitting on her shoulder. "We could spy on the Master for you."
Lord Asriel sighed. "Fine, you two can stay, but don't make any sounds. If they find you're in here, we'll all be in trouble."
I whispered to Lyra. "Told you we shouldn't be in here." She punched my side and I flinched as Magus flew off my shoulder and onto the windowsill.
"Now, hide in that box over there. They're coming!" He pushed in the direction of the box and I opened the lid. Lyra went in first and I followed behind her. It was a very cramped space but I had to work with it.
The door of the Retiring Room creaked open and the Master and other Scholars came in.
"Please, sit." Lord Asriel said.

Once everyone was seated and comfortable, Asriel moved a cart over with a projector on it.
"Fellow Scholars of mine, I have discovered something very special while I was travelling in the North some month ago." He took the lens blocker off the projector and showed us a blurry picture. It just looked like the Northern lights. Nothing too special.
"So, you discovered the Northern Lights?" one of the Scholars asked.
"This is the picture before I found this," he paused as he walked back over to the projector. He moved the pictures and now a new image appeared. I could see an outline of a building. A very large building, in fact. I glanced at Lyra, but she was too busy trying to see the image clearly.
"Before I discovered a city in the sky."