7.

Lee and I slowly landed the balloon in a small forested area. The balloon shook as it touched the ground.

"Come on," Lee said, opening the balloon door and leading me out, "do you think they'll know where we are?"

"I bet. They told us they would, anyway." I walked more into the forest while Lee was gathering the things he needed from his balloon, like his sleeping bag, some food and water, and some extra blankets. I think not having any cigarettes is finally getting to him because he seems more upset than when we first started to travel.

"You think this is a good spot?" I asked, sitting down on a spiky log. I flinched when I felt a thorn pinch my skin, so I moved over. I hated the woods.

"I think so."

"You know I hate the woods."

"Actually I don't. Sorry about that." He laid out his sleeping bag on the wet ground. He looked at it, with a disgusted look in his eyes, and moved it again. I doubt he wanted to sleep in the wet dirt.

Around a half an hour later, out of the corner of my eye, I saw John Faa and the Gyptains running towards us. They looked like they needed help.

"Mr. Scoresby! Y/N Holland! This is urgent!" I stood up and Lee looked at me.

"What's wrong?" I ran over to Lord Faa. He was out of breath.

"Lyra's gone." He went over to sit on one of the logs and was pinched by a thorn.

Lee spoke up and went over to him. "What do you mean, Lyra's gone? Where is she?" He was really good at changing his mood to fit the situation, not like he would have had to force himself to.

"She was taken by the Gobblers. We need her because she has the Alethiometer. If we had it, then we would know where the children are." Lord Faa got up again and sighed, "thank you for finding a new campsite, but you two need to go and find Lyra. You're our only hope."

I went over to Lee and grabbed his arm, "we're on it. Come on, Lee. Let's go."

"But we just- okay." He grunted, and we headed back to his balloon. Lee sighed when we stepped inside and he sat down. He rubbed his forehead and bit his tongue. "Alright. Let's get out of here." His muscular figure quickly climbed to the pulley and yanked it down. A flame erupted in the balloon. "Hold on tight. We'll be going up fast."

I grabbed the seat below me as we rose up in the air. Again, I could see the horizon. The sun was setting, so the beautiful combination of oranges, yellows and purples sat appealingly together. I rested my head on the edge of the balloon and watched the water rise and fall against the shore. The water rippled as it moved so the sun had a beautiful reflection.

"Lee," I started.

"Yeah?" He sounded like he was pulling something heavy. I looked back and he and Hester were together, adjusting a wire on the balloon. He was clearly struggling.

"Come over here and sit with me." I swung my leg so it was on the ground. He looked up at me and sighed, but smiled. He stood up and walked over to me. Lee sat down in front of me and took off his hat. He handed it to me, "here." I hesitated for a moment, then took it. He looked out on the horizon. I glanced at his hat and moved it around in my hands. It looked really comfortable, and so did he. While he was looking relaxed, gazing at the sunset, I slowly put the hat on my head, shifting it around so it could fit. But it didn't. It was way too big. Lee looked over to me as I was adjusting it and I stopped. He smiled again and helped me adjust it. I blushed profusely, hopefully he didn't notice.

"Get up." I hesitated but obeyed. Lee put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around. I widened my eyes. "Stay there." He said.

"Alright."

Suddenly, I felt a great weight on my shoulders, but I didn't move.

"Put it on." I lifted up my shoulders and slipped my arms through the sleeves. I turned my head around and saw that Lee gave me his coat. I giggled. Now he was wearing his red leather, my favorite outfit of his.

"Thank you, Lee." I grinned.

He winked, "anytime. Now I have to get back to work." He kissed the top of my head and headed back over to Hester.

Flakes of snow started to come down after fifteen minutes. It had gotten much colder, so I'm happy Lee gave me his jacket. A strange building came into view from a distance. I stood up and looked over the edge of the balloon.

"Lee," I stuttered, "I see something down there."

"What is it?" He came over and stood next to me.

"It's a weird building. It's all dark and stuff with weird lights." I explained. I looked at him and his face was struck with horror.

"Lyra."