8.

The building was darky and musty. Small lamps on the ceiling lit the gray hallways. Lee was standing at my side, as we were ordered to go into the mysterious headquarters together.

"Here, take this." Lee said, handing me a rifle. I- I don't know how to use this. Lee, you expect me to know how to use this? You've never taught me a thing! I took it without hesitation, however. I was ready. Or so I thought.

"You good?" He asked me.

"Yeah. I'm ready." We walked forward.

Almost every time I took a step, the rusty, metal floor would creak, especially when Lee took a step. His boots were very hard at the bottom, so I could probably hear it from all the way down the hall.

Lee opened a door and we slowly walked in. It was outside. It was heavily snowing, which I enjoyed. Lee stood in front of me, backing up a little, wrapping his arms around me. "Be careful and stay along the walls. They'll be able to spot us easily." He moved me over to the wall and we crept along. He kept his gun at the ready, as I tried to hold mine. It was extremely heavy.

We finally got to another door. This one led into the building again. He paused and held his gun up. The deafening sound of bullets ripping through the sky made my ears pop. I hated guns. I slid down the wall, struck with horror. Then, I saw him fall to the ground, in pain.

"Lee!" I got up to care for him, but was whisked away by two large men. "HEY!" I screamed, "Let me go!" I whined and kicked at them, but they wouldn't budge. Lee just laid there, his eyes closed, breathing heavy. He looked over at me and his eyes widened.he reached out his hand, thinking he could reach me, but I could barely see him anymore, the snow thick in my face.

These strange men carried me into a brightly lit room. It hurt my eyes from being in the dark for so long. They threw me into a cold, metal cage. My daemon went into one next to me.

"LET ME OUT!" I screamed. I banged on the door, but no one cared to look at me. They're trying to kill me. This might be the last I see of Lee, him laying on the ground with blood dripping down his leg. That's terrible. He's the love of my life, but I didn't get to tell him how I felt. I didn't get to touch him. I didn't get to kiss him.

Suddenly, I saw a muscular man at the door. Lee. How is he okay? He took his gun and shot through the window, which shattered the glass to pieces almost immediately.

"Y/N!" Before he ran to me, he pointed his gun at the scientists. "You better not hurt either of them, do you understand me?" Either? I thought. I looked to my right and saw a girl leaning up against the door of her cage.

Lyra.

The scientists put their hands up as he lowered his gun. He ran to my cage first as they opened them. He picked me up and took me out. Then he went to Lyra's and took her out too.

"Thank you, Lee." We both said.

"No time to thank me. Come one, we have to get out of here." We quickly exited the room, a gun in Lee's hands. He was limping heavily. "Stay with me, both of you. I'll take you to safety."

"But, you're hurt, Lee! You need to get some help too!"

"I'm fine, Y/N. Honestly the Gyptians would rather see Lyra, so we need to get you two safe."

Lee brought us back outside and I was freezing. There was a camp set-up far away from the building.

"You two can get treated here. I'll be back soon." He started to walk away but I grabbed his arm.

"Lee. I'm not letting you go. You're hurt."

"Y/N, I'm fine. I need to get the other children safe and to this campsite." He stepped away from me, making me lose grasp of his arm. "I'll be fine. You need to stay here so you won't get hurt. I'm doing everything for you and I can't be the one responsible for you getting hurt!" He limped closer to me and grabbed my shoulders. He stared into my dark eyes. "You are my life, and I can't have you getting hurt, okay?" He kissed the top of my head and walked away. I blushed. As he became farther away from me, I sighed. I don't want him getting hurt.

"Okay," I heard Farder Coram speak from behind me, "Come sit down. I'll get you some food." I obeyed and sat down on a smooth, but typical camping log. I was handed a bowl of hot soup. I hesitated to eat as I looked back at the building, every now and then hearing gunshots. That better be Lee shooting and not him being shot. I started to eat. It was actually good soup.

Some time later, I saw a figure in the distance. Lee. I got up and ran to him as he limped over to the camp.

"Lee!" I grabbed his shoulders as he supported himself on me. I took him over to the medical help spot. They never told me what it was called. I placed him on the bed as he groaned. I was shocked. His leg was dripping with blood again, much more than before.

"It'll be okay, Lee. It's fine. Medic! I need cloth and bandages please! Immediately!" I cried out to the camp. I saw Lyra get up and run to the medical supplies. She came to me and had what I needed. "Thank you, Lyra."

"Need anything else?" She asked, standing tall.

"No thank you." She walked away as I pulled up Lee's pant leg. I shuddered.

"Sorry, Y/N." Lee said, sighing, "it's my fault."

"It's fine, Lee. I told you to stay here, but once again, you didn't listen to me. But it's okay. Are the children at least safe?"

"Yes, they are. I got as many of them over here as possible. There are a few others collecting children too."

"Okay, good." I patted the wound with a cloth, thankfully not as much blood coming up this time. 

This might take a while.