C H A P T E R S E V E N

THIRD PERSON POV

Fern and Hunter did not, in fact, get to speak when the latter and Cut returned from town. Upon their arrival, it was evident there were more pressing matters to discuss. While the children played outside, the clones plus Suu gathered around the dining table. They spoke of the impounding of ships and chain codes, and the moment Tech confirmed if he could forge some for the deserter and his family, Fern cut in with "I want one as well."

No one objected, but no one had a satisfied demeanor either. Fern could care less. This was her ticket off Saleucami and finally free of Clone Force 99.

Suddenly, Jek and Shaeeah rushed in. "Dad! Come quick! Omega went past the fence!"

Fern watched Hunter not hesitating to leap from his seat and burst out the door. Cut, Suu, and the others pursued not far behind. Fern, too, felt a visceral urge to sprint to the young girl's aid, but when she reached the porch, she halted and couldn't go any further. She observed from a distance as Hunter jumped in front of the petrified Omega to protect her from an attacking Nexu, vibro-knife in hand. Suu had perched herself on the roof above Fern, shooting her rifle to scare it off. From then on, the female clone knew she wasn't needed...

You should've helped, anyway. A small voice vilified her conscience.

When Hunter started scolding the young girl, Fern thought of how she would have done the same thing. Yet, as Cut pushed the sergeant away and knelt down to comfort Omega, her chest grew tight. Almost felt a little guilty. She couldn't bring herself to say something to the whimpering child as Cut carried her inside the house; she didn't even bring herself make eye contact. However, her feet did march forward on their own - right up to the boys with apprehensive expressions. She did not ask to speak to them—instead she dragged Hunter by the forearm around the corner of the house, mumbling through gritted teeth, "All of you. Follow me."

——————————————————————

FERN'S POV

Once we were alone, I released Hunter's arm and faced him, Tech, and Echo (Wrecker decided to check on Omega). Hunter was still wearing his civilian disguise from when he went into town with Cut - his bulging biceps seemed like they were going to rip through the fabric at any moment. Especially when he crossed his arms. "Alright," he said. "What's this all about?" He still seemed distracted about what happened earlier with Omega.

"First off," I cleared my throat, my eyes averted to the ground. "Good job saving the kid. Apologies for not being much help, but I figured you all had it under control." I looked up when none of the clones before me responded, so I continued. "I have a question for you all: Since when did you start caring about children? Or maybe - let me rephrase. What is it about Omega that you are so attached to?"

Hunter almost flinched at my question, as if it offended him. I impatiently began listing possible explanations. "Is it because she's curious? Is it because you feel like you owe her after she helped you back on Kamino? Or is it maybe you both function on the same wavelength?"

"Wavelength?" Tech raised a brow and glanced over to Echo, who shrugged one shoulder.

"Oh, come on, just tell me, Hunter." I urged, and I could tell he noticed the change in my voice. He sighed heavily, "I think it's because I feel...responsible for what happened on Kaller."

"With the padawan?" Echo deduced.

I had a feeling this was the case. "Hunter, what happened on Kaller, you had no control over that. If anything, you are the reason the padawan got away. You shouldn't feel bad for that."