C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S E V E N

For the next few chapters, I will be developing my own episodes in which the Bad Batch splits into two groups on separate missions. This way, Fern's character can enhance her relationship with other members of the squad besides Hunter.

THIRD PERSON POV

Fern watched the Marauder land from the hangar wall. When the young girl hopped down the steps and started jogging towards her, the female clone's body moved on its own and met her halfway. The moment Omega saw Fern kneel to one knee with arms open wide, she quickened her pace and crashed into them, wrapping her tiny arms around Fern's neck. The latter groaned dramatically.

"Oh, you got me! Going down!" She collapsed backwards on her bottom, still holding onto the girl. Her injured chest throbbed from the collision, but she would not allow Omega to be the wiser. "I heard you were quite the mastermind on the mission, huh?" She scrunched her nose teasingly.

"Yeah!" Omega exclaimed with a proud smile. "Hera and I managed to convince Hunter to save her family. To be honest, I didn't know if it would work, but Hunter has always said to be strategic about decisions, so that's what Hera and I did."

"I wish I could've been there." Fern shook her head. "Who knew a weapons drop would've developed into a full-on adventure?"

"It was not foreseen, that I can calculate." Tech chimed in from above. The two female clones rose to their feet as he added, "But I must admit, even with some fallbacks, Omega and her friend came through, along with some other interventions while at the Capital."

"Did you face Crosshair?" Fern asked in a more serious tone.

"Fortunately, it did not come to that." he confirmed.

"Yeah...fortunately."

"Did you change your bandages?"

"Ugh, yes, Tick." Fern groaned fiercely. "Who are you, my mother? Don't answer that." She thrust her finger in his face as she watched his lips part in interject. She then took Omega's hand in hers and they began walking back to Cid's parlor with Tech and the rest of the boys in tow. Once they stepped foot into the main lounge, they were greeted by an impatient Cid behind the bar.

"Finally, you're back. I'm going to have to turn you lot around, because I have two jobs for you." 

Fern narrowed her eyes. "They just arrived from a mission. They need at least eat and rejuvenate before hurrying off on another grab-and-go job from bandits."

"You think you're funny, Princess?" The Trandoshan raised a brow at her. "With these two jobs done and done, you won't have to work for awhile with what they both pay. Even in your cut. Take a month-long vacation afterwards for all I care. It's worth it."

Fern whipped her head at Hunter with burning eyes, begging him not to accept the jobs. He sighed, "Listen, we're tired and without rations, we can't go on jobs back-to-back."

"Alright, then split it." Cid shrugged. "Knock out two jobs in one go. Here, these chips have all the info you need." She tossed them to Hunter, who snatched them mid-air. Their employer then waved them off. "I believe in you lot. Have at it." She then disappeared into her office.

"I'm going to kill her." Fern growled through her clenched teeth.

"Save a punch or two for me." Echo radiated the same energy.

"Come on, let's go back to the ship and see what we have." Hunter sighed again, leading the way out the exit.

——————————————————————

FERN'S POV

I was fuming at Cid for forcing these two jobs upon the boys. They literally just returned from an act of goodwill, and she's just tossing them right back into the fire. Crossing my arms, I slumped down into the chair behind the pilot's, where Tech sat. Next to him was Hunter. Behind Hunter sat Echo. Omega and Wrecker stood on their feet in between me and Echo.

"Looks like the first job is a retrieval mission." the intellectual clone deciphered the chip's information. "The client wants a collection of a rare root that only grows on the planet Iego. The Empire seems to have a low presence there with some minor security at the ports. The second job is an acquire-and-deliver: The client requires us to travel to Nevarro, collect a highly large supply of fossil fuels, and transfer them to Hoth. Reconnaissance informs the Empire have not inhabited either and security is flexible with the right codes, which the client has provided."

"Thank you for that briefing, Tech." I huffed as I finally straightened myself in the chair. "Here's what I think: since Nevarro and Hoth are both neutral planets, and the job requires heavy lifting, Hunter and Wrecker should go. Half-Pint, you can tag along with them. Echo, Tech, and I will go to Iego to gather the root." I felt out of sorts separating myself from Hunter after my revelation, but I still wanted to confide in Tech's opinion, and I trusted Echo the most over Wrecker and Omega to keep the conversation among the three of us.

"Ugh, some boring heavy lifting?" the muscular clone groaned with disappointment. "Why couldn't one of the jobs involve something to blow up? Add a bit of excitement?"

"Sounds good to me." Hunter nodded after pondering for a moment, completely ignoring the big guy's mini tantrum. "We will drop the three of you off on Iego and return once we all finish our jobs. In case you get in trouble with the Empire there, it shouldn't be too difficult for the three of you to escape, especially with you, Echo. With the low security, you can hack into their system."

"Actually," Tech corrected. "All three of us have that skill."

"My mistake." Hunter rolled his eyes. "And Fern, stick close to Tech and Echo. I know you are fully capable of handling yourself, but you are still recovering. Take it easy on this job, okay?"

"Aye, aye, sir." I performed a two-finger salute. "I will stay clear of explosions and fire." At first, Hunter looked annoyed by my quip, but then his dark eyes softened like he was relieved.

"Alright," he finally concluded. "Let's gather supplies, rest up, and head out."