C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F O U R

THIRD PERSON POV

After a relatively refreshing and unpretentious recess, receiving an easy-going mission was ideal, and since jumping into hyperspace, it had been smooth sailing. Tech and Echo had the controls. Wrecker was monitoring comms. Fern, Hunter, and Omega occupied themselves in the stomach of the ship. The two adult clones were competing on who could skillfully twirl their vibro-knife between their fingers most impressively. The little girl was at first tinkering with their gonk droid, then grew interest in attempting her own talent of maneuvering her spark tool.

Wrecker broke the silence. "We're being hailed. It's...Rex."

Everyone's heads popped up and viscerally gathered around the projected hologram of the clone captain. He was covered with the same cloak he wore back on Ord Mantell. He faced towards the center of the cockpit. "Hello, boys. Fern. Sorry to cut right to it, but I could use your help."

"What is it, Captain?" Hunter took charge in the conversation.

"I received a distress signal from a clone trooper, but I'm a bit tied at the moment to retrieve him."

"You want us to recover a reg?" the sergeant questioned, a bit wearily.

"He's an old friend, and he's in trouble. I need you to get him out." Rex explained, and Fern sensed the desperation for their help. Whoever this clone was, he was important to the captain.

"Out of what, exactly?" Hunter stretched, searching for more details of the mission. Unfortunately, as a distant device beeped, Rex stammered, "Can't talk right now. Sending you his signal. I'll be in touch."

"Rex, wait—" Fern called, only to be cut short as he broke the connection.

"What was that all about?" Wrecker asked.

Tech opened up the incoming transmission. "The distress signal sent by 'CC-5576' is originating from Daro, a terrestrial planet—"

"Daro? That's all the way in the Outer Rim." Fern said, crossing her arms while settling into one hip. "What's a reg doing all the way out there? Unless, perhaps, his chip also malfunctioned and he was forced to hide. However, while an inhabited planet would be a good hiding place, he would be merely surviving. Furthermore, with the Empire spreading systematically, inhabited planets are easy targets to establish a base or port. He may have been caught, hence the distress signal."

CC-5576...Why does that number sound familiar?

"Whatever the case is, it doesn't matter." Echo countered.

"On the contrary, while we've gone on missions before without much intel, this would be stretching it." Hunter said.

"Rex wouldn't ask us for help if it wasn't urgent." Echo defended. Fern grasped the cyborg clone was taking this debate personally. She understood how much Rex meant to him and trusted him with his life, willing to jump into the line of fire for the captain.

"Echo's got a point." Wrecker chimed in.

"May I remind you that we are in the middle of a job for Cid." Tech pointed. "If we deviate, we will not be compensated. No money, means no food. And during our extended recess, Wrecker made sure we would be low on rations."

"Oh, yeah, Tech's got a point." The big guy nodded, not feeling any shame.

"But, Rex's friend is in trouble." Omega stammered. "That's more important than getting paid."

"Well, the kid's—Ow!" Wrecker whined after Fern jabbed her elbow into his gut. 

"Say it one more time, and I'll swipe your feet from under you." she growled, then sighed. "I agree with Hunter. It's completely illogical to zoom into potential Imperial-occupied territory without a single recon report."