C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F O U R

THIRD PERSON POV

Tech decided to stay behind to monitor Fern while the rest of the squad escorted Senator Singh and GS-8 to Cid's parlor. He had done everything he possible could with what limited supplies and equipment he had. He had never been so delicate when aiding a squad member, especially when he had to apply healing ointment to the entirety of the burn across her chest. Additionally, the bandaging process was slow— this wasn't Wrecker whom Tech could carry on with an injection and medical pad and call it a day.

The intellectual clone patted the sweat away from his brow with the back of his hand. In his hand, he gripped his data pad in which he used to track Fern's vitals. She had finally stabilized by the time he dressed the wound. All there was to do now, was wait, and Tech fought against the anxiety that was building up inside him. His right foot spasmed against the floor as he leaned forward, propping his chin up by his knees.

An hour went by and Tech was growing tired when he, at long last, heard a strained female voice. His head shot up and locked eyes with Fern's tearful ones. "Fern?" he sighed with relief. "You are awake."

"Hey, Tick..." Fern breathed hoarsely and managed a small smile. Tech's instincts were proceed with a briefing on her condition, but when he opened his mouth to do so, Fern suddenly reached out and gripped his hand. He flinched, unsure how to react to this curious gesture.

"How are...the others?" Fern asked weakly.

"An ironic question for you of all people to be asking." the intellectual clone stated. He was dumbfounded and could hardly comprehend what he was hearing. In her condition, she was still concerned about everyone else first. He recalled a time when Fern wouldn't have asked a "silly" question as such. Staring into her watery eyes, he figured he should provide some comfort, but wasn't sure on how to commence...

His fingers slowly, involuntarily closed around hers.

"Fern!"

The minimal space between Tech and Fern was invaded by a stealthy Omega, popping up her blonde head with worried eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Hey, Half-Pint..." Fern grinned as she spoke softly. "I'm good. Tech patched me up well. Nothing too serious." She dropped Tech's hand to reach up and cup Omega's jawline with the same hand. Despite her assurance, She watched the young girl's frown deepen. "How was...hanging out with Cid, huh?"

"She paid off our debt." A low voice sounded before Omega could answer. Fern glanced up to see Hunter in the back, his helmet tucked under his arm.

"Did you really?" The female clone smirked at Omega, her nose scrunched up. "How in the galaxy did you do that?"

"I won a lot of Dejarik games for money." she beamed. "I even beat Hunter, so now I won't sit out of any more missions!"

"I wish I could've see that match." Fern scoffed softly. "It looks like, however, I won't be participating on any jobs for awhile."

Omega's smile wavered. "It won't be long." she promised softly. "You just need lots of rest. I can keep you company if you like."

"You know what would help?" Fern said, raising a brow. "A pound of Mantell Mix. We can share a batch."

"That sounds like a good idea." Hunter agreed. "Omega, why don't you and Wrecker go fetch some for you both?"

"Okay." Omega nodded, but Fern could tell she was still worried by the watery shine in her round, brown eyes. "We'll be right back!" She and Wrecker exited the ship. 

The moment the sergeant was positive they were gone, he dropped the calm act and knelt down to Fern's eye level. "How are you? Are you in any pain?"

"I'm fine, Hunter, really." she insisted, though it was hard to convince him when her chest ached with every deep breath she inhaled. She glanced over to her caretaker. "Tech, I'm assuming there's going to be scarring?"