x. the gate

"Hey, Cass?" Max mumbled, barely audible over the noise around them

"Hey, Cass?" Max mumbled, barely audible over the noise around them. Cassidy's eyes lit up with recognition, and they couldn't contain their excitement as they pulled Max into a tight, heartfelt hug. The warmth of their embrace enveloped both of them, momentarily blocking out the world around them.

As they finally pulled apart, Max's eyes narrowed with curiosity, their voice tinged with confusion. "Wait, I thought you said you might be gone for a while. What happened?" Cassidy's smile softened, and they replied with a hint of vulnerability, "Yeah, I thought so too, but turns out I was wrong. Something unexpected came up, and here I am." Their eyes met, understanding passing between them, as they continued their conversation, unaware of the unfolding events involving Hopper and Mike in that very moment.

"Dude, Nichols?" Dustin exclaimed, his voice filled with disbelief. The room crackled with tension as Mike's voice boomed with anger, "You've been lying this whole time!" Hopper's stern tone cut through the chaos, "Alright, let's have a private chat." Mike and Hopper stormed out of the room, their voices raised in a heated argument.

Dustin's eyes widened as he sought confirmation, "Wait, that's really Nichols?" Cassidy couldn't help but let out a laugh, "Haha, well, kinda. His actual name is Theodore. He's like El and me, hiding out with Eleven. We've been calling him Nine." Dustin's face lit up with a mischievous grin, "Tubular!" The room filled with laughter as Max and Cassidy chuckled, sharing in the lighthearted moment. The excitement and camaraderie in the air were contagious, making it a memory that would be cherished for years to come.

"Hey, Max," Cassidy's voice trembled with sadness, their tone filled with concern. They took a deep breath, motioning for Max to join them in Joyce's room. Max followed, their worry etched on their face. Cassidy looked down at the ground, their voice filled with regret as they began, "Max, I'm so sorry." Max's emotions surged, their voice breaking with fear and relief, "I was so worried about you! I thought... I thought I had lost you." Their words were barely a whisper, filled with vulnerability. Cassidy lifted their head, their eyes meeting Max's tear-filled gaze.

With a gentle touch, Cassidy placed their hands on Max's shoulders, offering comfort and reassurance. "You would never lose me," they whispered, their voice filled with sincerity. They delicately lifted Max's chin, their eyes locked in a moment of profound connection. Tears welled up in Max's eyes, their heart overflowing with emotions that words couldn't fully express.

"Maxine," Cassidy's voice softened, their words filled with sincerity. Max's cheeks flushed slightly at the use of their full name. "I want to apologize if I ever made you think that I had feelings for Theo. I truly don't. He's simply a friend that I've known since our time in the lab." Cassidy's voice carried a hint of regret, hoping to convey their genuine intentions and clear any misunderstandings between them.