six

SIX
of parties and picnics

Arabella sat on a while chair facing the lake, under the shade of the newly blossoming tree. Her eyes wondered around the scene and was met with various rugs, tents and colourful gowns.

She saw beautiful women, handsome men and optimistic mothers gathered in circle, promenading and gossiping. Arabella's mother, Geneva sat next to her daughter surrounded by a feverishly large group of Mamas. Who had spent the entirety of the hour that the Leversays were present making speeches about which man they had claimed for their own daughters and potential wives each of them could pair of with each others kin. It was clear that the Mamas had more interest in the roaming young men then their daughters did.

 The group turned their heads, quickly at the arrival of the Bridgerton Family. Viscount Brigderton, accompanied by his mother Violet, the ladies averted their eyes as Violet made their way to the women. 

"Hello, dears" Violet said standing above the mamas, a polite smile on her face. The ladies sang a chorus of Hellos before smiling at the woman. Arabella stood up and offered her seat to Violet. 

"No, my dear. Do not fret," Violet said, not keen to take young ladies seat. 

"She insists, Violet. It would do the girl some good to get up and walk about," Patting Arabella's stomach, Geneva turned her head to the clump of women to hear their chorused laughter at her joke. Arabella smiled forcefully before walking away from the tent and toward her father who was accompanied by men, drinks in hand they laughed boastfully and loudly. Arabella decided instead of following her father, she would take a walk toward the pond to look closer at the birds. 

She pulled out her fan and fanned her face, it was warm outside, nothing unbearable but it still bothered the girl. She walked around the area aimlessly avoiding the stares, she quickened her steps to avoid the men who walked past and paused with the intent of talking to her.

A young girl around Arabella's age, perhaps younger. Wearing a light blue gown walked passed her holding a book to her chest, bored out of her mind. Arabella followed the young girl to a shaded area near cove of trees. 

"Hello," Arabella called out to the brunette girl with bangs and blue eyes. 

"Hello," She replied, her eyes widening. 

"Arabella Leversay," Arabella said sticking out her hand for the girl to shake. 

"Eloise Brigderton," She said in a husky yet enthralling voice. 

Eloise walked out of the cove and stood next to the girl, the two overlooked the crowds in front of them, "I suppose you too are trying to escape the like-minded ways of good-society," she nodded ahead. 

"You are indeed receptive, I'm afraid gossip is not very appealing to me currently," Arabella and Eloise made their way to the Bridgerton tent, where Anthony sat by himself, taking a break from the swarms of women who stared at him from a few metres away, too scared to make a move.  

"Beautiful book," Arabella commented as she reached for the leather book in Eloise's hands, "Emma is quiet possibly my favourite,"

"I must agree," Eloise said. Anthony who didn't greet the girls, lost in his own thought stood up and walked away from the tent, deciding to introduce himself to the group of young women.

"Very romantic," Arabella agreed, which widened Eloise's eyes, shocked that a prestigious lady like Arabella would also read, "I like to read, however, its not a passion of mine, I assume it is yours however,"

Eloise smiled as she agreed, before they girls could talk about anything else. Arabella saw a flash of yellow and heard a little quack. Arabella looked at the Bridgerton girl and the two followed the noise, to see a duckling sat beside the tree. They girls presumed it lost. Arabella bent down and picked the duckling into her hands. 

It quacked softly, the two girls stood there, unsure what they should do. "I'll fetch some bread to feed to the poor creature," Eloise said, as she raced toward the buffet. 

Before Eloise returned, Viscount Anthony Bridgerton approached Arabella, curious to see what his sister and the young lady were doing. 

Anthony saw the duck in Arabella's hands and threw her a confused glace, "What on earth are you doing?" He asked. 

Unsure of what to say, Arabella looked at him and said "Duck,". Arabella internally groaned, at the response she gave. 

With a bemused look on Anthony's face he spoke again, "Yes I can see that. It is a duck but why are you holding it?".

"A young lady can't hold a duck?" Arabella said with a smile, "If I want to hold a duck I will hold a duck...." She paused. "It also seemed to be lost so Eloise and I are feeding it,".

Anthony smiled a little, before returning his stoic expression.

Arabella cleared her throat as she stroked the ducks face, "Do you wish to hold it?" She asked.

"I certainly do not," He said, taking a small step backward. 

"Come here," She ordered using her free hand and pointing the spot he had previously been standing, "Put you're hands out,".

"I must protest-" He said.

She gave him a glare, and he stepped forward and put his hands in front of her, she placed the duckling into his hands and gave him a big smile. Anthony looked at Arabella and returned the smile as he stroked the ducklings face. 

"Arabella," Eloise called from behind them, the two looked backward and saw Eloise returning with a small piece of bread, Anthony coughed lightly and returned the duckling back to Arabella. He gave her a curt nod and walked of, hands clasped behind his back.

"What did my brother want?" Eloise asked.

"Nothing, he held the duck." Arabella said, as Eloise fed the duck pieces of bread. 

"Anthony held the duck? Very unlike him," Eloise said, bewildered.