twenty-five

chapter twenty-five of proposals

Arabella sighed as she stared at herself in the mirror, her eyes drooped from the lack of sleep and her skin had paled, she had grown thin, it was the thinnest she had ever been. She spent days locked in her room when she didn't have an event to attend. The ivory dress draped around her, seemed loose compared to the last time she had worn it.  

Forcing a smile the girl, took one last look in the reflective glass before making her way down the stairs, Sophie greeted the girl with a small smile, in awe of the beauty her best friend possessed, "You look exceptional,". 

"If only I felt that way," Arabella sighed, taking the bouquet of flowers Sophie had given her. Sophie linked her arms with Arabella's as the two approached the large pastel doors, the music began playing as the doors slowly opened and heads began to turn. 

Eyes lingered on Arabella's figure and attire, the Queen pursed a lips and gave the young girl a small nod before turning around. Arabella's parents sat seated in the back of the church, their faces frowned at the occasion, her mother couldn't even force a smile at her daughters fortune. 

Arabella took a deep breathe as she slowly walked toward the isle, Sophie had left to stand at the front of the alter, the young girl was left to walk on her own. Arabella's eyes wondered everywhere but the alter. As she reached the front, a gloved hand presented itself to her, Arabella looked up at the Viscount. She hesitantly reached for it and stood beside the man. 

The ceremony, which Arabella had assumed to be her happiest day, flew past her, a small peck was shared between the betrothed and the two had left the festivities prematurely. They both sat in the carriage - silently. Anthony watched Arabella struggle to unclasp the jewelry from her wrists. 

"Allow me to help," Anthony said, taking the girls hand into his palm and unscrewing it. Arabella looked blankly at the man before her, her husband. 

Their wedding festivities were less than exciting for the pair, mainly Arabella. Sophie's husband had insisted on their matrimony, an ultimatum was issued, it was either the pair get married or the ton would know of their impropriety. 

Arabella had plastered a fake smile when telling Anthony's family of their nuptials, all were happy for the two, no one had suspected otherwise. 

Anthony held her gold bracelet in the palm of his hand, twisting it round until he figured out what to say. 

"I know this marriage is not what you wanted," He said, with a stoic expression, his mask hid the fact that he painfully aware of how Arabella didn't want to marry him. He was hopeless when it came to her, he had proposed to her three times already, pushing away his feelings - claiming that their marriage would be of convenience. 

Now he had gotten to marry the woman he spent days and nights dreaming about, but she said nothing, she never spoke to him unless it was necessary. 

"What gave you that impression, my lord?" Arabella said, sarcasm dripping from her voice as she stared at the scenery outside. 

"What more do you want from me, Arabella? I saved you - this marriage works for both of us. We can do good, hell- we already have," Anthony sighed, bringing his body closer to the girl, his upper arms rested on his knees as his face was buried in his hands. 

"Saved me? you saved yourself, the ton screams about your wish to marry for convince instead of love, is this convenient enough for you?" Arabella spat, a scowl on her face. 

"This convenience works for both of us," Anthony reiterated, raising his voice ever so lightly. 

"I was already ruined, Anthony. I was a disowned, socialite with no proposals worth considering," Arabella sighed. 

"You are not ruined, Arabella, you're stubborn and so many things but you are whole, need not refer to yourself as ruined," Anthony took Arabella's hands in his and gave her a reassuring smile, she however didn't return it and turned back around to the side.