seven

seven
of tea and talks

Today was the day Arabella would attend the ball the queen would also attend. When the invitation came in the mail to the Leversay family inviting them to Duke Deely's ball, the whole family was shocked, Duke Deely was one of the closest friends to the Queen and for a Debutante to be specifically named on the invatation was even more of an honour.

Geneva rushed Arabella out the door, and ran into Sophie and her mother Marianne who was also on their way to the modiste, the two families decided to ride together in the same carriage.

"I see Arabella has been getting some attention from the Bridgerton Boys," Marianne spoke, she had kind eyes Arabella thought. She was a lovely women, always supporting Sophie's choices, she often wished her own mother was more like Marianne.

"Yes, I suppose she has," Geneva said, bitterly. "I doubt they'd be interested in a girl like Arabella,". Geneva laughed loudly, Marianne gave an uneasy laugh and Sophie looked at Arabella sympathetically.

"Well, Sophie has gotten many suitors. I believe a Sir Daniel Weitten may propose soon," Marianne said. Sophie looked at Arabella with a grim expression. Arabella could tell Sophie did not want to deal with a proposal she would have to deny, she often tried to avoid uncomfortable situations.

"Mama, I told you-" Sophie said.

"I know I know, you don't fancy him, however, he is off noble birth and a handsome man," Marianne said, gushing about Sir Daniel, "Has Arabella found anyone who's caught her eye?"

Arabella opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by her mother who said, "There have been plenty at the house, but I doubt any of them are coming back. You should have seen how much she ate in front of them. 2 scones. Maybe even 3," No one said anything by that comment, except Geneva who laughed at her own cruel words.

The conversation ran out and turned into small talk, Sophie looked at Arabella from across the carriage and smiled sympathetically. Both Marianne and Sophie knew how cruel Geneva could be. As the four women reach the modiste, James opened the door and walked inside.

Madame Delacroix greeted the women, she led Arabella and Geneva into the first dressing room, while Marianne and Sophie browsed for gowns.

"A dress for the Deely Ball I'm assuming, Mon Cheri?" Madame Delacroix asked as she began taking Arabella's measurements.

"Yes, yes. Two dresses. Rich blue for my daughter and a lighter shade for myself," Geneva said, helping Arabella out of her dress.

"I believe, I have the perfect fabric to suit your complexion," Madame Delacroix said while smiling at Arabella.

"Too dark is it not? I tell her to apply the lightening serum, she of course intentionally forget most nights," Geneva said with a smile.

"No, no, no. Miss Arabella has the most exquisite skin. Beautiful," Madame Delacroix said. This made Arabella smile, her mothers words slowly drifting from her mind.

After placing the blue fabric around Arabella, Madame Delacroix began pinning the dress. Not too long later, it was Geneva's turn and Madame Delacroix did the same with Geneva. While Arabella and Geneva browsed for dresses to buy Sophie and Marianne were fitted.

Arabella and Geneva purchased various other dresses and the 4 women rode back home in the carriage.

...

Arabella

The sun had not risen yet but my mother and Dahlia walked into my bedroom. I sat up and stepped off my bed, I stretched my arms above my heard and groaned a little before stepping into the bath room.