twenty-one

chapter twenty-one of seasons

Arabella knew her return to the season would draw in people's eyes but she never expected the whole ballroom to silence when the doors opened. She stood at the entrance, as the quiet consumed the room, the occasional whisper was heard as everyone's eyes were casted on the young girl. 

The hem of her blue dress slid against the marble floors as she made her way toward the Queen, heads turned as she walked past and people moved past to let her through. The Queen turned around and saw Arabella, she pursed her lips before looking at the crowd of people watching intently. 

"Dance," She ordered, waving her hand in the air. People drifted back into pattern and the eyes of Arabella lessened. 

"And what have you come to say," She asked, in an annoyed manner. 

"My queen," Arabella spoke quietly as she dipped low into a curtsey, "I have come to express my most sincerest apologies, my abrupt departure is in no way a representation of you or your court,". 

"My dear, I know," The queen sighed, before nodding at the young girl and waving her away. 

Arabella left toward the side of the room to join Sophie and her husband, "How was it?" Sophie asked, a concerned look on her face. 

"She forgave me," Arabella said with a shrug. 

Soon gentlemen lined up beside Arabella in an attempt to ask her for a dance. Arabella, overwhelmed decided to turn around and step away from the crowds. However, she bumped into someone. She took a step back and apologized profusely, she looked upward and met eyes with a shocked Anthony Bridgerton. 

"Arabella," He said, sucking in a breath. His hands rubbed against the material of his jacket to calm his nerves. 

Arabella stared sadly at the man, thinking about the last time they talked. 

"It's alright," Anthony said, rubbing the crying girls back as he consoled her. Tears stained his white shirt but he didn't care. He paid no mind to the open study doors or to the commotion in the ball room. 

"It's not," Arabella said, looking upward into his eyes. She hiccupped a little and her cheeks blushed red in embarrassment, "My mother has disowned me, what am I do now? I cannot return to the season,".

Anthony stared at her, deep in thought. He frowned at the girl, who looked so beautiful to him, even tear stained. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace. This time she cried silently, her body shook but no sounds escaped her lips. Anthony pulled the two apart and held her by the shoulders. 

"Marry me," He said, a small smile on his calculating face. 

Arabella looked confused as she took a step back causing her to bump into the chair leg and fall onto the chair.

"My Lord," She said, unsure of what to say. 

"I have been looking for a wife all season and you are in need of protection, I can grant you that," He said, taking steps toward her. 

"I don't-," Before Arabella could finish her sentence, Anthony cut her off. He kneeled in front of her, placing two hands on her knees as he looked upward at her. 

"Marry me, Arabella. It's purely strategically, it could work," He said, with a reassuring smile.

"Arabella?" His voiced entered her mind as she was pulled back to reality. 

"Yes, my apologies," She spoke quietly, and gave him a curt nod before wondering away from him. Anthony watched her leave as he did, once before. This time his heart shattered ever so slightly.  

"Purely strategically," She said to her self with a small scoff. His eyes attempted to read her face, although he spoke strategy, he was glad it was her. 

"I can't," She said, before removing his hands from her legs, causing him to stand up in front of her, "Goodbye, Anthony," She said before walking past him and out the doors to join the party, all of whom were oblivious to the Viscounts proposal.