twenty-four

chapter twenty-four of walk of shames

The morning came quickly enough, the two laid in Arabella's bed, sheets covered them as Anthony held her. His fingers stroked her waist as he nuzzled against her neck. She sighed as she woke up, her eyes sore from the late night before.

"Good morning," He said, kissing her cheek, before moving her hair out of the way to kiss it again.

"You have to leave," She said, turning around to face him.

"Why," Anthony groaned as he kissed her again.

"Sophie is home, this is highly improper," She smiled against his lips.

"Marry me, then," Anthony said, a worried look on his face, his hands came out toward her face and he kissed her forehead.

"I can't," She said, he furrowed his eye brows, shocked at her quick response, "Simply because, I do not want to tarnish your family reputation,".

"I have been with you twice, now," Anthony said, a serious look on his face, "it's only proper,", Anthony said defensively, trying to hide his embarrassment, twice now he had proposed and twice she had rejected him.

"You only ask because it is proper?" Arabella asked, confused. She couldn't help but feel disappointed, heart broken even. Twice she had given this man everything, hoping for something more.

She got up off the bed and put her robe on, he laid there watching the way she moved. To him it was mesmerizing.

"You should go," She said again, turning away from him. He got up out of bed and held her from behind.

"I could stay," He said, whispering into the nape of her neck.

"You have duties, it's only proper," She said, before walking to the balcony and collecting his dry clothes, she passed them toward him and he frowned at her. He began to dress before kissing her on the cheek and making his way downstairs, collecting his belongings and leaving before being seen by anyone.

Sophie came into the room, as Arabella was cleaning her room.

"Why did Anthony Bridgerton just leave our home?" Sophie asked, taking a seat at the bottom of her bed, a coy smile playing on her lips.

"Did he?" Arabella asked, panicking from within, "I wonder why he didn't stay," Sophie gave a knowing smile before making her way down stairs.

...

Hours had passes and it was time to get ready for ball, a family in the ton was hosting their first ball of the season. Arabella was dressed in a lilac dress, her skin glowed as she pattered down the stairs. Sophie called out, indicating that it was time to leave.

After a few minutes of talking to varies Lords and a Ladies at the Dowry residence. Arabella grew tired and paranoid - she wondered if Sophie had seen the Viscount's departure then anyone could have seen him.

Her eyes scanned the ball room, her palms itched at the sight of the occasional lingering eyes. Sophie returned with her husband, who had decided to drop by for a surprise visit.

"How are you, Edward?" Arabella asked politely with a small curtesy.

"Very well, better now that I am with my love," He said, placing an arm around Sophie's waist, a grimace formed on her face as the sudden close contact.

"Wonderful to hear, we shall have the guest room made for your occupancy," Arabella said, her eyes widening at Sophie's alarmed reaction.

"There is no need, I shall be joining my dear in her chambers," He said, before walking toward other elderly men.

"Terrible time for him to drop by," Sophie groaned, leaning her head against Arabella's shoulder.

"Lady Leversay," A voice came, forcing Arabella and Sophie from their ponder.

"Viscount Bridgerton," Sophie spoke, with a slight pep in her voice, "I am needed elsewhere,".

"My Lord," Arabella nodded, her voice still.

"Can I accompany you for a dance?" He asked, sticking his hand out for her to take. Arabella hesitantly took his hand and the two made their way to the dance floor.

"I have been meaning to tell you- to ask you-," He coughed lightly, "Whether you would reconsider my proposal," His gripped tightened around his waist as they moved to the sound of the orchestra.

"Anthony-," Arabella sighed, "I- I," She began to speak but her mouth opened with no words spilling out. She removed her hand from his and hurriedly walked away from the young Viscount, who was left bewildered, eyes followed the two. He stared as she darted out of the main doors, waiting a moment until people stopped looking at the flustered man.

"Arabella," He spoke quietly in the hall, occasionally straightening his posture and nodding to the few occupants of the halls.

Anthony spotted a light coming through the door, as foot prints pattered left to right through the shadows. He gently knocked on the door- before opening it. "Arabella?" He spoke quietly.

"My Lord," Arabella spoke, standing up from her sitting positions on the chair. He took a few steps toward her, he held her face in the palm of his hands.

"I know it is not the romance you would want- nor any love I can give you, but I am a man of honour and I will honour you," He said, before Arabella could respond to his remark the door opened, a loud thud boomed through the room.

"My god," Sophie's husbands voice echoed loudly as he and Sophie hastily shut the door behind them, "This is highly improper," He deemed.

"My darling, it is quite alright," Sophie said, her eyes worried, as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"No, I must disagree. You are unsupervised. I thought you to be a man of honour, you must marry this young lady at once, if not to save her to at least prevent her humiliation,".