New Beginnings

Chapter 1: Prologue // New Beginnings

Zayn's P.O.V.

8:19

It is 8:19 AM on a Monday morning.

That is the thought that Zayn wakes up with. He does not have to go into Uni today, so why is it that the shrilling ring of his alarm clock has gone off? He reaches over his navy blue duvet and slams on the snooze button. When he finally gets the motivation to get out of bed he opens his eyes letting in a beam of sunlight straight into his right eye.

He usually closed the blinds, but he had been knackered last night and completely forgotten. With a curse and a grunt, Zayn stands up and makes his way into the bathroom. Once he's done with his morning routine he goes down the hall and into his kitchen to make himself a gourmet breakfast... "Gourmet" meaning, a bowl of Captain Crunch with some orange juice on the side.

As he is about to take a seat Zayn notices a note sitting on his kitchen counter. It's a note left by Liam, his friend (Liam declares the title of best friend whenever someone brings up their relationship) and occasional flatmate. The note was rather sweet, something Liam always did. For any occasion he saw as "totally life changing" he would write a note to go with the moment. It was usually quite heartfelt, and well if Zayn cried after reading some of the notes... Well, Liam didn't need to know that.

The letter left on the counter today had words along the lines of "have a wonderful first day Z!" and "Tell the students about your really rad friend Liam." Yes. Liam could be rather lame at times, but heck so could Zayn. They were a great balance really and if Liam wasn't straight, (unless he downed a bottle of vodka in which case he would be all over the closest person, boy or girl) they would definitely be dating.

Placing the note back onto his counter Zayn's train of thought drifts to his new job. He'd be teaching year 13 (sixth form) English at the local college in Marlborough, Wiltshire. He had majored in English, more for his parents than himself. It wasn't like Zayn hated the major, he actually really enjoyed his English course and always thought about becoming an English teacher. One thing had always stopped him, though. Art.

He had become interested in art when he was six. His dad had bought him a sketchpad and well, that's really when it all started. He would get inspired by the things that surrounded him. He would take mental pictures of the things he saw, sketching them down late at night. He was easily encouraged to draw by the beautiful scenery outside every window and got distracted by the colors.

Zayn had decided he wanted to be an artist at the age of seven. When the teachers asked him what he wanted to be, the word artist would slip out like it was the most obvious answer he could give. People would try to persuade him to go in other directions, but no. He didn't want to be an astronaut, no not a lawyer, and no definitely not a doctor.

An artist, that's what he wanted to be.

With the support of his family and friends, he kept with the sketching and drawing. He would go into a mode Liam calls "the point of no return" (shows how creative Liam can be)... He would get into this zone where nothing mattered but the drawing. The building could be burning down and he would still be perfecting his sketch. No one really got what art meant to him. They would try, but no one ever truly understood. It was like his own little world. No one could step in.

His parents, the open minded people that they are, saw his passion for art and let him roll with it. However by the time he got to Uni and had to choose a major they stepped in. They said that choosing English as his major could get him far. He could get a job as a teacher and be in their words "financially stable". Zayn went with what they said, in some ways they were right; majoring in the arts would end up doing the exact opposite.